Middle Fork

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Since we didn't have the group hike this weekend, Sean said something like why don't we just go - where do you want to visit..... And that's how things get started. He picked me up near home and we had an uneventful drive out to Lytle Creek, arriving before 8 while it was still cool outside. Since I had never been to this trail it was all a new experience - I kept thinking about the wonders of being out in the mountains and how restorative it is to visit. I figured the day would be pretty warm so we took the high trail on the way in, planning to visit the creek on the way back and do some light scrambling while returning to the parking area. The views of the mountains from this side are great, with the steep and rugged terrain defying most people from visiting. We took a short snack break a couple miles in, and then stopped for some water at Third Crossing. Just after that we passed a group of Boy Scouts lounging around the campground, but we had much bigger plans as we were headed to Commanche. One section of scree slope here was very loose, it was an interesting dance to get through as each step created a mini avalanche of rock. The next campground was fairly overgrown and the tent sites were no longer level. Along with that, the creek at this point has moved underground so hikers don't even get the soothing sounds to help pass the time. We took a much longer break here for lunch, and then poked around a little while looking for signs - since new signs were in place below we though just maybe this one would be marked too. Since that was unsuccessful we headed down once again, filling up with water at the crossing. Then the brilliant idea was posed to go a tiny bit off trail to chase a few waterfalls, and for me this was one of the highlights of the day. Of course the scrambling back to the trail instead of retracing our steps may not have been the best follow-up, but we both managed to stay mostly on our feet until we reached the well-trod path. Another slight detour below took us over a couple of log bridges, although the creek was mostly heard and not seen. A brief moment of contemplation told us we had enough scrambling for one day so we walked back up the little hill to rejoin the main trail once again and then cruised back to the parking area. Just for reference, the McDonald's at the Sierra exit is only open for drive-thru, so we had to go all the way to Haven just for a celebratory burger (spicy chicken sandwich for me). All in all, another great day out in the mountains - in the last year I've missed this a lot.

Pics:

Trailhead on a fantastic morning.
DSC06557.jpg

We did not get a permit. Snack break a short way past this sign.
DSC06566.jpg

Standing in the cathedral of cedars.
DSC06573.jpg

Getting a little warm by this point.
DSC06583.jpg

It was nice to get back in the shade as we approached Commanche Camp.
DSC06584.jpg

It's just a little off-trail, he said....
DSC06597.jpg

Totally worth the walk.
DSC06610.jpg

The water was very refreshing!
DSC06614.jpg

Some pools are suitable for swimming.
DSC06615.jpg

Lower section log crossing.
DSC06619.jpg

I'm calling it 9.5 miles as I forgot to turn AllTrails back on again as we headed back after lunch. While using the app on my phone, it was calculating the elevation gain at about 14,000 for the day. Looking at it on the computer it's a more reasonable ~2,500 feet.

Thanks Sean!
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

It was a fun day, Jeff. Middle Fork is a gem that I always enjoy and I'm glad you got to see it.

This time there were more people on the trail than I'd ever seen before. In addition to the Boy Scouts, we met some canyoneers heading to what they called "Sixth Falls." I figured they meant the upper falls visible from the trail, but after referring to Brennen's upper drop-in as the "lower drop-in," they kept hiking beyond Commanche Camp. I didn't know the different drop-ins at the time, but I knew that the canyoneers had gone well beyond the upper set of falls. Maybe there's another set above Commanche?

Anyway, the other highlight was Jeff finding a neat, glass bottle of Squirt, which inspired my choice of liquid reward after the hike.

DSC06114.JPG

Initially there is some old fire damage to the trees still apparent.

DSC06111.JPG

Here is Jeff negotiating a bad slide section between Third Stream Crossing and Commanche.

DSC06132.JPG

This is in the tributary to Third Stream Falls.

DSC06137.JPG

Crossing the creek on the lower trail during our return.

DSC06141.JPG

Some autumn color.

DSC06128.JPG

A rocky cliff in the vicinity of Timber Mtn.

DSC06127.JPG

And one of the big trees in the big tree section just before Third Stream Crossing.

DSC06118.JPG
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nice outing boys. Surprised to see that much water still flowing.

How's the road in?
Sean

Post by Sean »

I've never seen the road in better shape. It has been recently worked. No major problems. Just a little bumpy in parts. Easily manageable in my SUV.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

6th falls is a hidden waterfall that appears by magic, complete with a fairy guarding the portal to another place, behind the waterfall. All in all an amazing falls.

Or you can ask the experts once they are through running the latinos out of town. https://www.gosbcta.com/wp-content/uplo ... 2_6_20.pdf
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I went to Third Stream Crossing waterfall a couple of months ago. It was great and we only saw one group of people. Much better than the circus that is Bonita Falls. The cedars are worth visiting in themselves. 6th falls sounds interesting. Gonna have to research that.