Islip South Ridge by Bike

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Have any of you esteemed mountain folk ever mountain biked down the south ridge of Islip? It’s been on my mind for years, and I haven’t had a mountain bike until recently, so I was gonna go give it a look once I’ve finished putting the bike together.

I don’t have a good map with me, so I can’t see if it’s within a wilderness area (doubt it), so excuse me if it’s against the rules.

Figured it would be a nice ride. I remember there being a few dead trees blocking the trail. Reckon I’d need to move things around or otherwise do some trail work.

I’m also up for partners for riding it. Planning on riding up from the city as usual, camping at Little Jimmy and partying a little, then carrying/walking the bike back to Windy Gap (bikes not allowed on PCT), up to summit, then casual/sorta slow descent of ridge.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Also kinda an open invite to anyone who likes ‘adventure biking’, that is to say long rides where you sleep outside. I do it a lot, all over the San Gabes. If you have strong legs, a bike that doesn’t fall apart often, and a solid sense of humor, you’re welcome to join. I like to go every week. Say hi.
Sean

Post by Sean »

The Trailbuilders have been working Islip Ridge. It might not be too bad.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Oh nice!