Spring - Santa Clara Divide

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Did a quick ride up Magic Mountain (almost to the summit) this afternoon. Spring is making a nice showing up there.

View up Pacoima Canyon - Mount Gleason background-left, Mount McKinley center, Mount Lukens background-right.
"Everything's so f***ing GREEN!!!" (From the Brittish, and much funnier, version of 'Death at a Funeral')

Yellow Ceanothus at the cistern switchback west of Magic Mountain

Yellow Ceanothus close-up

Wallflower close-up

Paintbrush close-up

Coyote Mellon close-up; I noticed something odd when I looked at these flowers...some have 4 petals, some 5, and some 6.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I like that yellow ceonothus, it grows all over Mt Baldy road too. Used to bloom in May but now seems like it's April every year.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Hi, Jeff...

I think I misidentified that one. My mom always told us it was 'yellow ceanothus', but when I look up 'ceanothus' I get the california lilac (purple). I'll try to find out exactly what this is and get it corrected.

Cheers!

Tom
Huff and Puff

Post by Huff and Puff »

The "yellow ceanothus" is Spanish Broom (Spartium junceum). It is commonly found along the side of the roads in disturbed areas and is in bloom this time of year.
Huff and Puff

Post by Huff and Puff »

The "Coyote Melon" is actually Wild Cucumber (Marah macrocarpus).
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Huff and Puff wrote: The "yellow ceanothus" is Spanish Broom (Spartium junceum). It is commonly found along the side of the roads in disturbed areas this time of year.
Spanish Broom is an invasive non-native http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/ip ... er=182.php
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Yup. Spanish Broom = bad deal.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Sean

Post by Sean »

I've only seen white or blue/purple ceanothus. It's blooming all over the Barrett-Stoddard Road right now.