Home Bears - Watch the Camp Food

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Doug Forbes

Post by Doug Forbes »

I glimpsed some of our local bears this morning as I was driving to one of my favorite training spots for a short jaunt. I was driving along the cut-off road connecting Angeles Forest Hwy and Angeles Crest Hwy just before dawn when I came upon a momma bear with her 2 cubs running up the road (about a mile above the Colby Camp access road). They scampered at a speed of about 20 mph in front of my car for about 10 yards, then the momma veered off into a grassy turnout with her cubs in hot pursuit. The cubs stood at her shoulder as she stared my way with perked ears and puffed neck & back fur. The momma was smallish (under 200 lbs.), but in very good condition. The cubs looked to be a third her size - maybe yearlings?

I have sighted our local black bears (actually mostly medium to dark brown in this area) more often than ever before the last few years in locations ranging from just outside La Canada in the Arroyo Seco Canyon, to the PCT near Throop Peak and the South Fork Trail 2 miles below Islip Saddle. Just a reminder to all of us to use proper "bear camp" etiquette at all times in our local mountains. I have even seen fresh bear paw prints on the Mt. Waterman trails and on the top of Olancha Pass in the southern Sierra in mid-winter....wow....no real hibernation around here! :wink:

Climb hard, Climb safe
Doug F.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Saw one in Manker Canyon, just outside of the ski lift parking lot at Baldy... little guy all alone.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

And you didn't go out and try to pet the cute cubs? :)

Seriously, thanks for the report. I myself have seen bears over in the San Gorgonio area recently and heard reports of recent bear "raids" on food there, but haven't heard of any over this way. I'll keep a closer eye on my "bear procedures."

Oh, and thanks guys for the tip about smearing myself with bacon grease before going to bed. That oughta keep the bears away. I mean what bear in his/her right mind would want to mess with that kind of cholesterol? :lol:
Doug Forbes

Post by Doug Forbes »

Yes, very cute little cubs, but, momma bear would surely morph from Disney character into the leading furry actor from "Night of the Grizzly" or "The Edge" if I tried to cuddle..... :lol:

Doug F.