Doesn't anybody work?

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
Christina

Post by Christina »

Wow, just got home from work. Checked this site. There were some very busy lil beavers on the site almost all day long.

I'm envious. My job doesn't allow internet browsing during work.

I work for CalTrans, was sick/hurt Monday and Tuesday, didn't have any idea that so many people can get online every day, all day.

I only get time off on the weekends, usually spent hiking or 4WD in the San Gabriels. Oh well.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Working at CalTrans do you have any info. to as when they will open up SR2 (Angeles Crest Highway) all the way through? Please put some urgency on this will you :)
Christina

Post by Christina »

Travis, I have heard some talk about the problems with re-opening the collapsed portions of Angeles Crest Hwy. It's not from absolutely official sources, but close enough that I think they were worth sharing.

The problem is not the cost of repairing the collapsed portions and repaving them, while that would be substantial, it would be a much smaller amount than the projected cost of maintaining the road for years to come. That area is felt by many to have too much land movement to ever support a Hwy. Some feel it was a huge mistake to even cut the road through in the first place. Just as there were other attempts which failed in the area. Sometimes you just can't and shouldn't fight Mother Nature.
Christina

Post by Christina »

I sat in on an interesting meeting Friday with some low level Cal Trans brass.

I asked about the status of the ACH.

It is interesting to find out that the collapsed portion was originally maintained for a couple reasons.

Number 1 reason was during the Cold War with the USSR, areas needed evacuation routes, and this Hwy was originally maintained as an additional route that at the time was deemed necessary. With the threat of nuclear attack, the US spent huge amounts of money on bomb shelters and nuclear escape routes.

Number 2 reason became to service the resort skiing areas.

Due to the Cold War having settled down (I hope), and the California drought bringing very little snow to the San Gabriel ski areas, the Hwy mght never be rebuilt.

This area has always seemed a very small portion of the Southern California ski area. Even in its best years it was miniscule in comparison to the Big Bear/Snow Valley resorts.

Put those two reasons together and my bet would be the Hwy will never be rebuilt. Just my opinion from what I've heard.