Best Hiking or Backpacking Boot?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
hajipaji

Post by hajipaji »

I need a good hiking boot to hike sixty miles from Kings Canyon to Mt. Whitney, with a pack of about 30 to 40 pounds. .

I bought the Vasque Breeze GTX , but not sure if this is supportive enough for back to back days of long distances.

http://www.rei.com/product/726092/vasqu ... ots-womens

What is the best hiking boot you've found for long distance hiking ?

Will I be OK with just a hiking boot or do I need a sturdier backpacking boot?

thanks!!
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

I've been very happy with my latest boot; Lowa Renegade. I hike weekly in these for 20 - 30 miles with no less than 27 Lbs of day pack. They required exactly zero hours of break-in. No hot spots, and fairly light. Personally I wouldn't hike a big pack without serious ankle support. Others of the forum will disagree. I've burned through Asolo Fugitives, Vasque Wasatch, and too many others to name.
hajipaji

Post by hajipaji »

I've heard great things about Lowas! thanks! So far I've been really interested in the Zamberlan 710 Steeps . I do need good ankle support which the Zamberlans offer.
Migolito

Post by Migolito »

The Breeze will do just fine. Wear it around town for a week then take it on some hikes. I have the Vasque Wasatch which has done incredibly well. However, I've recently began transitioning to a much lighter pack weight ( in preparation for the JMT) and wear a pair of Lowa Tempest Mids that are fantastic.

M
tpfishnfool

Post by tpfishnfool »

I have become a fan of the Keene Boots. Love em...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

hajipaji wrote: I need a good hiking boot to hike sixty miles from Kings Canyon to Mt. Whitney, with a pack of about 30 to 40 pounds. .

I bought the Vasque Breeze GTX , but not sure if this is supportive enough for back to back days of long distances.

http://www.rei.com/product/726092/vasqu ... ots-womens

What is the best hiking boot you've found for long distance hiking ?

Will I be OK with just a hiking boot or do I need a sturdier backpacking boot?

thanks!!
Thirty to forty pounds isn't a super heavy pack. A lot of people will hike with relatively lightweight footwear with that pack weight.

How soon are you going? Do you have time to do some practice hikes between now and then? You can load up a pack and do some local hikes and see how it feels. That'd be a lot better than being two days in and finding out that the boots don't work for you.

HJ