Canaan Mountain Traverse

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
turtle

Post by turtle »

A bit delayed, and a bit far afield from the San Gabriels, but I thought I'd share some photos from a recent traverse of Canaan Mountain outside Zion National Park.

We started just outside Hildale, home of Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. (If you go, be sure to eat at the Merry Wives cafe!) From there, we wandered through Water Canyon...

...and upward into a slickrock wonderland.

I'll confess to a love (perhaps even an obsession) of austere geologic form, but I suspect even the most jaded of eyes would be impressed with the endless variation found on the route.

We also passed some historical curiosities, including an old windlass...

...used to lower lumber to the valley floor below.

But mostly, it was mile after mile of the geologic freak show.

If you're ever out near Zion, be sure not to overlook this route. Nature of course pays no particular heed to the typically straight and generally arbitrary boundaries with which we define our National Parks. Still, it is refreshing to see that the terrain just outside the Park is equally as striking as the terrain in the Park. (One of my favorite canyons in the area -- Fat Man's Misery -- is just beyond the opposite boundary of the park.) And being outside the park, it is very much off the radar. We saw just two other humans in our 30 hours en route.

A few caveats... This is a surprisingly strenuous route given its moderate 14 mile length. Irregular, loose, and often sandy footing make for slow going. Navigation is also very difficult. I'm not a big fan of GPS, but it sure came in handy here. It seems nearly all the features (drainages, buttes) are large enough to force consequential navigational decisions but small enough to elude resolution on the 7.5' maps. It's really best suited for a two day trip, as you'll surely want plenty of extra time to admire and play around among the geologic wonders.

(Full set of photos is available) on Flickr.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Amazing pictures Dr. Turtle! BTW, PVR was a lot harder without the snow this past Saturday.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Great photos!!!
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Looks amazing out there, I don't think you could have asked for better conditions. So much natural beauty in our country.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Amazing photos!
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Fantastic pictures!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Very cool! And that windlass is neat. I love old stuff like that.

HJ
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Brilliant Turtle. Next time you're out that way, venture a little further east to the Coyotes Buttes Permit Area. Not terribly strenuous, but a geologic freak show.
turtle

Post by turtle »

Uncle Rico wrote: Brilliant Turtle. Next time you're out that way, venture a little further east to the Coyotes Buttes Permit Area. Not terribly strenuous, but a geologic freak show.
It's funny you'd mention Coyote Buttes. I've not been, but one in our group had. He noted that portions of this hike were like a small version of The Wave.