JTree: Black Eagle Mine Rd & Pinkham Canyon Rd.

Archived TRs for desert ranges.
obie

Post by obie »

Found a site at White Tank and threw the tent up and loaded up the 29'er for a roll down Pinto Basin Rd. to Black Eagle. Forgot how long a drop this is from White Tank - 3000' in 10 miles.

I was out solo so the idea was to recon a couple of rides planned with riding buddy in two weeks. Still a little jittery about going backcountry by me self - not the cool thing to do anymore. Black Eagle looks pretty flat and hardpack. I did 5 miles there and called it a ride. The hump back up to White Tank gassed me...too much gear on bike and the heat must have been mid-80's easy. Good ride of about 40 miles. The 5 mile chipseal stretch from W.Tank down to Cholla Garden is a bear - I used my suspension...on a road bike this would be a handnumber..but a fun, scenic descent into the Colorado in any case.

Sunday I threw the bike in the truck and rolled down to Cottonwood. Went over to Pinkham Canyon Rd. and did 11 miles down to the junction with Snow Cloud Mine. Pinkham is a fun roll, more jeep trail than 'Road'.
Wear some gear - the creosote hangs over the trail, along with some cholla - this was a slightly bloody ride. Lots of crushed granite and some interesting red clay sections - slightly technical in parts but, no much OTB save for a deep sand pit about 9 miles in. Plan on finishing this one in a couple of weeks - from the map it's got another 7 miles down to the river.

Some daisys popping out in the south end (I'm told) and a few Joshua's in bloom. With the buddy in next trip we plan to make a good bike/hike starting at Black Rock and move south for closer inspection of spring flowers. Should be popping a couple of weeks.

White Tank is a cool place. Small campground and a very nice rock garden all around the sites.

White Tank was quiet this weekend.

Pinto Basin Rd. and San G. looks just fine today. About 80 down in Pinkham Canyon...I'm guessing?

Pinkham Canyon is a fun roll.

Nuts of the non-native species 'Jeep 4WD'
Taco

Post by Taco »

Sweet. Looks like fun. 8)
obie

Post by obie »