Palisade Glacier

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We hiked to the Palisade Glacier on Labor Day. Weather was perfect. Totally clear skies. Temps were mild: 48 at the trailhead at 5AM and in the upper 60's at the glacier.

Big Pine Creek

The first view of Temple Crag is always impressive.

Temple Crag above Second Lake.

Sam Mack Meadow is one of the great beauty spots in the Sierra.

Three turquoise jewels set in a bowl of granite.

It is hard to believe that the Palisades are a mile away. You want to reach out and touch them.

Happy hikers at the glacier.

Happy, that is, until they realize that there's a half mile of boulder scrambling before they return to the trail! Sky Haven is the mountain in the background.

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Pretty cool shots.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Richard,

Norma, Eman and I were there that day as well, don't know how we missed you, we only went as far as the Second Lake because it was our fourth day of hiking/climbing in a row and we started at 11:30ish and exited by 5:05 PM, about the time I would guess you came down from the glacier? We ran across a really nice "Old School" mountaineer named Bill from Wisconsin, he's done some big stuff all over the world, maybe you saw him on your way up, he was carrying a "Orange colored" dufflebag type back pack wearing a white shirt and gym shorts with a white beard.

Those are some great shots, I was getting way too much "Haze" in my shots, I'll have to play with them to get then to come out anything like those shots, nice work.

Congrats on the hike, that was my first time in that area and I'm already wishing to go back. Thanks for the pictures. :D
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

HJ - Thank You!

lilbitmo - You were up and down the trail before we got back. We started at 4:45AM, reached the glacier at 3:00PM, and returned to the car at midnight. Now, I know that there are hikers on this board who could do the hike twice in that time period and want more. But, as a 61 year old cancer survivor, I feel pretty good that I can still do a 17 mile round trip with 4500 feet vertical gain including a mile of boulder scrambling on a 28% grade.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

RichardK wrote:... as a 61 year old cancer survivor, I feel pretty good that I can still do a 17 mile round trip with 4500 feet vertical gain including a mile of boulder scrambling on a 28% grade.
Sounds pretty doggone good to me!

HJ
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

RichardK wrote:HJ - Thank You!

lilbitmo - You were up and down the trail before we got back. We started at 4:45AM, reached the glacier at 3:00PM, and returned to the car at midnight. Now, I know that there are hikers on this board who could do the hike twice in that time period and want more. But, as a 61 year old cancer survivor, I feel pretty good that I can still do a 17 mile round trip with 4500 feet vertical gain including a mile of boulder scrambling on a 28% grade.
Nice work all the way around, had no idea, glad you can still get out and enjoy all that beauty - would have been nice to run into you, maybe next time :?:
norma r

Post by norma r »

Richard, who cares how long you take as long as you enjoy the adventure!! :D Beautiful photos! On Monday the haze from the fires in Sequoia was the worst we saw all weekend. Your shot of Temple Crag is so clear compared to what i could shoot. As i drove home it was such a pity to see Big Willy or actually barely see Big Willy because of the smoke.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Congrats, Richard!

I really enjoy savoring the N. Fork. No time trial for me, either.
It appears you got to smell the roses...Bravo!!

It was a treat for me to introduce Patrick and Norma to the NF drainage.
Sorry our paths didn't cross at the same time.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Norma and Eman - Thank you for your kind words. This was our third trip to the Big Pine lakes basin and the first time we made it to the glacier. The area is extremely beautiful. We have visited 5 of the lakes and I am already thinking about coming back to see the other 4.