I liked Norma_R's avatar I did one of my own!

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I liked Norma's avatar I did one of my actual x-ray I got done last Thursday....

My expert diagnosis sez there is a second fracture on the 5th Proximal Phalange

Whether it's an old fracture or from this misadventure I'm sure I'll find out on Monday, it's gotta be old... Know I never went to the doc for it...

bsmith

Post by bsmith »

mattmaxon wrote:My expert diagnosis sez there is a second fracture on the 5th Proximal Phalange
'second' fracture? could that possibly be 'spiral' fracture?
mattmaxon wrote: Whether it's an old fracture or from this misadventure I'm sure I'll find out on Monday, it's gotta be old... Know I never went to the doc for it...
it's new.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I keep telling ya - quit having those boxing matches with Bernd!
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Ouch. Heal well & quickly.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

cougarmagic wrote:I keep telling ya - quit having those boxing matches with Bernd!
Or boxing matches with a brick wall. :shock:

Take care of that hand,

HJ
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Looks like a fracture on the "fourth metacarpal" too. Second (worthless) opinion: from this one view the 4th metacarpal looks new. Not sure about the proximal phalanx. Need more views...
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

cougarmagic wrote:I keep telling ya - quit having those boxing matches with Bernd!
No...

I gotta quit hitting him in the head!

He has a very hard head :lol:

(go for the gut...go for the gut)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Mike P wrote:Looks like a fracture on the "fourth metacarpal" too. Second (worthless) opinion: from this one view the 4th metacarpal looks new. Not sure about the proximal phalanx. Need more views...
Guess I should of said the 4th metacarpal was the first & diagnosed fracture... not that you need to be "House" to figure it out :wink:

I could have fractured the other one sometime between now and who the heck knows when...

I've worked as a mechanic for 35+ years and have whacked, squashed, banged, burned, cut may hands so many times OY VEY!

I have no clue how to tell if a break is new or old on an x-ray, but I do know I had no pain or swelling on the finger. Maybe I used it all up on the other one :lol:

People break bone and never know it sometimes..

One memorable tale from a coworker was about his son who was having surgery to fuse some cervical vertebra to stabilize a break he'd had years prior from high school football :shock: WTF how do you break your neck and not know it for years ???

THANK YOU for your well wish's I'll do what I can to heal

Regards
Matt
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:
No...
Well, you could ask him to remove his helmet first, now couldn't you? :lol:

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

Ouch. Hope you're able to take care of it. :?
norma r

Post by norma r »

aw heck Max i am so sorry to hear :cry: my 6 week holding pattern has been really tough. but like eveyone says, you will be back before you know it! :evil: smack me for saying that, cuz i hated hearing it. i hope your pain is tolerable.

i look forward to getting in some recovery hikes this week and i hope you heal quickly and fully and get back to canyoneering in 6 weeks too. keep us posted.
mve

Post by mve »

Matt,

Hope you get well soon! And judging by the speed you were moving today on the trail it looks like you are heading full speed for recovery :D

Take Care!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
mattmaxon wrote:
No...
Well, you could ask him to remove his helmet first, now couldn't you? :lol:

HJ
D'OH!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

I'll have to upload my recent shot of my UCL repair.
My story of unknown broken bones. At about age 14 I had a positive skin TB test. Dr took a chest X-ray and then asked my parents when I had broken 3 ribs. They didn't know, but I did. A couple of years prior a friend and I were tossing a football around in my garage because it was raining. I stupidly dove to catch a pass and landed on a shovel's point. Huge cut and lots of pain - but I couldn't tell my parents.
I finally spilled the beans in the Dr's office that day. Still have the scar on my side, too.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Maybe I should join the crowd. Did this tagging a guy out playing in my beer league softball game in late May. Notice, I did say tagging him out - I at least made the play.
Hurt a bit and after the swelling went down, I couldn't move my thumb.
Complete tear of the UCL (gamekeeper's or skier's thumb are two names for it)
Doc got out his erector set and fixed right after independence day. Pin comes out this Thurs and a few more weeks of a cast. Then a month or so of PT. Been a bummer not being able to ride my bike or run or do much meaningful.

This just adds to my hardware collection - I already have 2 Ti screw in the knee from an ACL repair and a plate in my skull from a fractured orbit.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Rumpled been Crumpled! :shock: you win!
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Nice one, norma; I like it - Crumpled!
It's not a game I was trying to win.
Not sure I did either, some of those breaks look pretty bad.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Rumpled wrote:It's not a game I was trying to win.
believe me, i know. i had L ACL Reconstruction in July 2004. odds are i have had more injuries than most, but hey, having fun sometimes comes at a cost. ask my wallet! and my body! :?
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Rumpled wrote: This just adds to my hardware collection - I already have 2 Ti screw in the knee from an ACL repair and a plate in my skull from a fractured orbit.
that's impressive! I had a zygomatic fracture that gave me 2 plates on my skull

Image.

a much more severe injury that was much less painful than other fractures i've had.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Ze, that seems much worse than mine. My "plate" is about 1 cm by 2 cm and paper thin. I just like saying "plate in my skull".
I got the pin out today, so just the screw anchor left in.
This is getting to be like the galley scene in Jaws.