BlackStar

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Curious any users mtn bike in the santa ana mountains? I usually do BlackStar about once a week and Chino Hills once a month....
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

Be up that road a few times. Last time I went there it was in Aug2009. It was 97 F with a dry breeze. It was so dry I couldn't even sweat. I love the california newt colony in the stream. Bet it is nice there right now. You looking for a drug dealer?
obie

Post by obie »

I do some around OC - tho not Blackstar yet.

I usually do San Gabs - paved/fire road around Baldy/39 etc. Saturday going to do Sunset Peak from the Visitor Center in B.Village and then (if traffic's not bad) up to Manker and SA Falls. Prob. 8 am start.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

obie wrote:I do some around OC - tho not Blackstar yet.

I usually do San Gabs - paved/fire road around Baldy/39 etc. Saturday going to do Sunset Peak from the Visitor Center in B.Village and then (if traffic's not bad) up to Manker and SA Falls. Prob. 8 am start.
man you recover quickly!
Zach

Post by Zach »

wrote:

man you recover quickly!
Ze, its just science.
obie

Post by obie »

wrote:
man you recover quickly!
We'll see. Too boring hanging around the house.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Zach wrote:
wrote:

man you recover quickly!
Ze, its just science.
:P

(head explodes)
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

I MTB in and around OC. Even more so than hiking. Only done B* once; need to hit it again.
A lot of what I've done in the Santa Ana's are total pain climbs.

Check out geoladders.com and socaltrailriders.org for lots of MTB areas. Both pretty OC centric.
obie

Post by obie »

Rumpled wrote: A lot of what I've done in the Santa Ana's are total pain climbs.
A lot of what I've done is fire road. The singletrack climbs around here are trick - gullies down the middle, overgrown both sides, no trail maint.(yet) and steep. I hit up Moro Canyon now and that's some tough climbing thru there. I like the long, sustained climbs on my roadie and this singletrack stuff is new for me.

Got a new 29'er and like how it climbs. Can't see going back to 26"...ever
norma r

Post by norma r »

Jeff, i'll check with my OC mtn biking friends for contacts and pm or FB you. :)
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Jeff~If you haven't done Holy Jim/Santiago Peak, it's a blast! I was up there riding this morning with a friend. Another one I like is West Horsethief. I believe there is a club called The Warrior's Society that does maintenance and holds events in the area--might want check them out.