Poppies Galore!

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I finally had a chance to see some wildflowers. I woke up early on Saturday and took the long drive to Lake Elsinore. I wasn't aware at how popular this trailhead was. There was plenty of parking but it was a hot mess. I suggest going early to avoid the crowds.
There are lots of trails to hike around the hills. The popular one to start at is Walker Canyon/Lake.
There are quite a few steep trailis and rocks to climb.
IMG_4898-001.jpg

IMG_4939.jpg
20190309_105545.jpg
20190309_114616.jpg
20190309_105440.jpg
20190309_103236.jpg
20190309_100629.jpg
20190309_095446.jpg
20190309_100002.jpg
20190309_093223.jpg
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Awesome!
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Very nice!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Who knew the Santa Ana Mountains could be beautiful?

It has overwhelmed poor Lake Elsinore. Half of LA came to visit.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

tekewin wrote: Who knew the Santa Ana Mountains could be beautiful?

Yeah I heard. Did you see this? I went just in time before the shut down.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... &width=500" width="500" height="740" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Girl Hiker wrote:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... &width=500" width="500" height="740" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>
Yeah, it became a mania. It is one of the most beautiful blooms around and far closer than the desert. I think there is a smaller poppy bloom in Silverado Canyon, probably not overrun (yet). Also, one over by UC Riverside.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

tekewin wrote:
Girl Hiker wrote:

Yeah, it became a mania. It is one of the most beautiful blooms around and far closer than the desert. I think there is a smaller poppy bloom in Silverado Canyon, probably not overrun (yet). Also, one over by UC Riverside.
Do you have directions to either of those? I would love to go check out some more blooms. I work in Irvine so Riverside would be closer.
thanks
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Girl Hiker wrote:
Do you have directions to either of those? I would love to go check out some more blooms. I work in Irvine so Riverside would be closer.
thanks
Don't have exact directions, I've just seen some photos. I think the Riverside poppies are on Box Springs Mountain, probably south side.

These are below Vulture Crags which can be reached via road hike from Santiago Canyon Road -> Santiago Truck Trail (~7 miles rt)
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

tekewin wrote:
Girl Hiker wrote:
thanks
Don't have exact directions, I've just seen some photos. I think the Riverside poppies are on Box Springs Mountain, probably south side.

These are below Vulture Crags which can be reached via road hike from Santiago Canyon Road -> Santiago Truck Trail (~7 miles rt)
Thanks. I will have to check it out. I am still searching for beautiful poppies wherever I can find them.