Lake Pyramid area 7/3/08 - White Mountains

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Just thought I would enter this into the record even though it has little effective value. Over the holiday weekend, I was visting here and these White Mountains(elevation 6000ft+) are the real deal. There are some old HPS trip reports that mention a start from Hard Luck campground, that has been closed for a number of years now. About the only info is those HPS reports( http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/guides/07l.htm ) & http://home.flash.net/~cfoster2/boating ... u_dat.html.

The area actually for the most part is considered Los Padres forest but also includes the very western border of the Angeles forest as well as some state holdings. The major deal here is the Hungry Valley OHV area and Lake Pyramid boating(Smokey Bear Rd exit off the 5).

The Hungry Valley OHV area has some interesting hills that are weathered and some nice and jagged. Currently its $5 to enter for dayuse and I know the boating entrance charges something also.

Anyways the only thing we did here was go north on Smokey Bear to the road was gated. Then hiked north along a well paved fire service road to a pass. There was one trail heading east to Hungry Valley OHV and the main trail going eventually back south towards Pyramid Lake. In theory, the mountain range is gained by this trail as well, but it would be one heck of a loop not to mention the exit would be into Lake Pyramid.

I wonder if White Mtn#2 or Black Mtn will ever be publicized again....so close to the freeway, yet so far.....

stats from HPS...notice this distance is after a long drive of 18 miles one way.

"Distance: 14 miles round trip on road, trail, and cross-country
Gain: 4600' total, 2200' out plus 2400' on return
White Mountain #2 is often combined with Cobblestone Mountain into a hike of 18 miles round trip with 6500' of gain"
Taco

Post by Taco »

I've spent a buncha days and nights out there with my buddies. Alamo Mountain is the closest we get (in the HV OHV area). All the Topatopa range... a second backyard.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Thanks, I think Alamo mountain is the way to go for some of the harder hikes. One addntl nicety about the area was $4.29 gasoline.
Terry Morse

Post by Terry Morse »

AW wrote: I wonder if White Mtn#2 or Black Mtn will ever be publicized again....so close to the freeway, yet so far
Here is a recent trip report to these peaks from Bob Burd's site:

http://www.snwburd.com/bob/trip_reports/sewart_1.html
AW~

Post by AW~ »

whew...just about overgrown...viewed Rick Kents TR as well( http://www.rickkent.net/ViewerPlus/view ... x?ID=42588 )...nice photos. Another hike not to think about doing in a day if it took these guys 8 hours+
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

One of these days I want to hike to White Mountain to see the DC3 crash site.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Kit Fox wrote:One of these days I want to hike to White Mountain to see the DC3 crash site.
A Bit Insensitive?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I don't know that I really believe that Kit Fox is "a bit insensitive" but I do know that a lot of people, myself included, find the various plane wrecks in the mountains to be fascinating.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

FIGHT ON wrote:
Kit Fox wrote:One of these days I want to hike to White Mountain to see the DC3 crash site.
A Bit Insensitive?
Read back over his old posts, and you'll understand.
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

The sensitivity prank was played out when I said, "call me a bit insensitive," because I wanted to keep illegals, and non-taxpayers out of public land.

They even snuck in and edited my profile to add that to my tag line. It took me a day or two before I even noticed the prank.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I just follow orders from Officers... :lol:

My family came here legally... from Czechoslovakia.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Kit Fox wrote:The sensitivity prank was played out when I said, "call me a bit insensitive," because I wanted to keep illegals, and non-taxpayers out of public land.

They even snuck in and edited my profile to add that to my tag line. It took me a day or two before I even noticed the prank.
TOTALLY DUDE! TACO DID THAT TO ME TOO. BUT I THREATENED TO REPLACE HIS CLIMBING ROPES WITH DENTAL FLOSS AND MOVE HIM TO MONTANA. AND HE ALLOWED ME TO HAVE MY "SPIRIT OF TROY". :D
GUESS HE DIDN'T WANT TO WIND UP SINGING ABOUT FLOSS.