Lawlor's East Ridge

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Has anyone been up or down Lawlor's east ridge to/from Barley Flats recently?

How about the old roadbed above the ACH from Barley Flats to Red Box?

Wondering about conditions. Passable?
dima

Post by dima »

Not recently, but I've walked that ridge a few years ago. It's fine. No idea about the road. The roadbed is clearly still there, but it might be overgrown.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Before the station fire the road was impenetrable bullshit, etc. A bit dated but I can only hope that the station fire made it better instead of worse.

I nominate you to go find out! lol :)
oldcoot

Post by oldcoot »

More not-current info...but I tried that road from Red Box to Barley Flats in September 2014 and found it too brushy...so did Markham and Lowe from Eaton Saddle instead (and met "Don Viejo," that even-older-than-me gent who'd posted the note about seeking a lady hiking partner, auditions on Baden-Powell)...this was well after the station fire...however, I find most of the photos here showing stuff I think is too brushy, so probably wouldn't be a problem for most SGMDF folk...

FWIW, Peter Doggett of HPS led a hike from Barley Flats to Josephine Peak over Lawlor and Strawberry about that time...not sure if they started from Red Box or Barley Flats road...the brush that stopped me wouldn't have bothered them...

oldcoot
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Thanks for the comments boys. The road sounds like a no go. Ridge sounds ok. A loop of sorts from Red Box up to Lawlor, down the ridge, and returning on the old roadbed might be a nice outing if it wasn't clogged with brush and whatnot.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Actually Elwood's evil brother Jake hiked the road in question in 2011...

red-box-barley-flats-devore-wilson-t4166.html

@Elwood
David R

Post by David R »

I was up there a couple of years ago both road and ridge are a go. Road had some erosion and yucca but all doable. I did that exact loop.