Do you wear sunglasses while hiking?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Rob

Post by Rob »

This was a poll. These haven't been imported. Sorry.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Yup.

If there's enough snow around and it's reflecting enough light to cause any discomfort, they go on (glacier glasses). I've only had the beginning stages of snow blindness, but it's kind of painful, and a real bad idea.

Basically, carry them, and if you need them, put them on. If in doubt, put them on. 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've had snow blindness. Does the word "agony" mean anything to you? I wear 'em religiously if there's any significant snow.

I also wear 'em if it's a really bright day out. My basic rule is: If I'm more comfortable with 'em on, wear 'em.
Terry Morse

Post by Terry Morse »

I can't hike in the sun without sunglasses. I don't know how anyone cannot wear them. Also a visor to block the sun.
On a vain note, squinting in sunlight causes wrinkles around the eyes. On a medical note, unfiltered sunlight can cause damage to the eyes.
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

I hike all year with sunglasses and during the winter I keep a 2nd pair in my backpack. I would hate to be in the snowy backcountry and not have sunglasses.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

That second pair of sunglasses on snow idea sounds like a good one.

In an "emergency" (I consider getting snow blindness an emergency), one can tie a bandana over one's face, single or double layer as necessary. I know this works -- I found out the hard way (ouch) that you HAVE to do something if you lose/forget your sunglasses. I've also heard of people improvising with duct tape. http://books.google.com/books?id=3kNEq6 ... n#PPA96,M1
135driver

Post by 135driver »

In an emergency (if you should find yourself in one..) you can make a pair. I made a pair up in Washington in SERE training. You can use 50/50 cord, yucca strands, or any string you can find for the strap. Find some thin but wide tree bark, heavy leaves for the lenses. All you do is poke holes just big enough to barely see through in the "lense". You will look like an idiot but it will save your eyes when you need it most!

Also, you can use a piece of cloth, Gortex works great if you can't find the natural materials.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

A single layer of bandana works well too. Makes you look like you're about to rob a liquor store, but it works. :D
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote:A single layer of bandana works well too. Makes you look like you're about to rob a liquor store, but it works. :D
Oh you are saying put the whole thing over your eyes?? W/O cutting slits in it? And see through the material? Wow! I can see how that would work great! Also cover your face from getting burnt too.