supplementation for hiking?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

wrote: its actually not that simple...
True -- it's never "that simple." But rules of thumb are nice. Hiking is mostly aerobic. I used to do a lot of anerobic (and mixed anerobbic/aerobic) training (middle distance running) -- it's a hell of a lot different from most hiking!
Hikin_Jim wrote: Really? I'm surprised by that. I would think that it would be more like an automobile. If I drive X miles at 85 mph, it will take a lot more gasoline than if I had driven the same X miles at 25 mph. You're saying it does not work that way with hiking? I find that very difficult to believe.
My statement works best for running and very vigorous walking. It takes a 150 pound person about 100 Calories to run a mile -- in 5 minutes or 10 minutes.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Ive found that the best "supplement" for me is simply eating well and getting plenty of rest. I hike/run at least 8 miles a day, so i can really tell how weaker i am wen not eating right. Like yesterday, i hiked n ran an easy 9 miles with only 2200ft elev. gain, but, I only ate a couple fish-sticks all day after that., so thismorning when I went up murray peak then ran a few miles through the desert, I did ok, but just ok. If id refueled properly after yesterdays hike, I really coulda ran alot faster thismorning. Anyways, yeah, when u average 40-50 miles a week, its not so much about what ur drinking that day, but just how well you take care of yourself all the time.

And yeah, Wat AlanK said. when you are really movin/trail-running it equals out the same. whether i walk fast my whole route, do walk/run/sprints combo, or just jog, i feel the same tired n burn the same cals for the same location
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

This thread reminded me of the fact that Hicham El Guerrouj set the indoor world record for 1500m on February 2, 1997. Ramadan ran from January 10 - February 7 that year. El Guerrouj is Muslim and was observing the Ramadan sunrise to sundown fast when he ran that evening. He did admit to being totally exhausted afterwards. The record of 3:31.18 still stands.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

yes I agree when you are mostly aerobic (like long hikes), then the glycogen disparity issue isn't as large. I mention only, like in the blog, that people sometimes tend to start out way too fast, and there is a significant cost to that.

as for the mile record, glycogen is mostly stored well in advanced, so fasting 8 hrs before isn't really bad (most people fast during sleep and exercise in the morning)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

wrote: most people fast during sleep
'cept zombies.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

wrote: as for the mile record, glycogen is mostly stored well in advanced, so fasting 8 hrs before isn't really bad (most people fast during sleep and exercise in the morning)
Exactly. Let's face it -- most of us could use a bit of fasting. :lol:
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

This site is pretty cool. It has a lot of good ideas for exercise programs and training exercises for mountain athletes. Though, I think some of the sets consist of too many reps. I am not a fan of lunges, In some of the videos it looks like those people are going to break their legs. http://www.mtnathlete.com/
johnc

Post by johnc »

moppychris wrote: This site is pretty cool. It has a lot of good ideas for exercise programs and training exercises for mountain athletes. Though, I think some of the sets consist of too many reps. I am not a fan of lunges, In some of the videos it looks like those people are going to break their legs. http://www.mtnathlete.com/
I'm actually doing the Big Mountain Training Program and it's by far the most intense training I've ever done. The workouts are long and grueling with most of the focus on leg and core endurance. It is definitely a real departure from the traditional training routine of tons of cardio and hiking with a little strength and stretching thrown in for good measure.

To tie into the focus of this thread, the diet for this program is a zero sugar, low carb, protein, veggies & fruits, nuts & seeds type of diet and I was concerned about "hitting the wall" because with blood sugar levels would drop too low during or after my workouts but that has never been the case. Consequently, I feel confident in knowing that I won't need supplements like Gu or Gatorade (or any other high carb supplement) during my day hikes (just lots of plain ol' water).
everyday

Post by everyday »

Here's a great supplement, carbs, sugars and protein all in one lil bowl 8)

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/gutche ... u_part.php#
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

everyday wrote: Here's a great supplement, carbs, sugars and protein all in one lil bowl 8)

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/gutche ... u_part.php#

HJ
everyday

Post by everyday »

-@ Jim, hey buddy, youre the one who said I should be "Dessert runner"
so dont judge my choices befor trying them!! :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol:

That's not a dessert, that's a weight loss plan!

HJ
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

Water,Tobacco and natural herbs.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

If anyone's interested, REI Outlet has Clif Shot gels in Raspberry and Vanilla for $.53 ea as today's DoD.

Applied my rebate, free store shipping, paid about $1 for two dozen :)
Taco

Post by Taco »

HAHAHAHHA SWEET!