Whitney shuttle info

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
Liz

Post by Liz »

I know I can look at the Whitney Portal board, but I'm not a member, and I feel more comfortable asking here b/c I "know" more of the members on this board and trust I'll get good information. Plus, the links I've seen people post on the Whitney site, in response to the question I have, are outdated.

I'm looking for a referral to a reputable company that can provide shuttle service between Lone Pine and Sequoia. Honestly, I would love recommendations from anyone who's used a service within the last couple of years, as I'm wary of random "companies" who could be out to simply get my credit card # and disappear. And let's face it- no one wants to be stranded in Lone Pine!

Thanks!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Last I heard the only shuttle service went bankrupt

It is possible? to take a bus or taxi

Matt
Liz

Post by Liz »

Bankrupt? That would explain why website links are old. No luck with busses, already tried. A taxi would be super expensive, and I cannot rent a car in Bishop and return it in Visalia...explored that too. I'm afraid hubby and I will simply drive 2 cars. Yuck.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

http://easternsierratransitauthority.co ... routes.php

This here is the ESTA and CREST

There is always hitch hiking too....
simonov

Post by simonov »

Liz wrote:And let's face it- no one wants to be stranded in Lone Pine!
Why all the hatin' on Lone Pine?
Nunc est bibendum
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

When are you planning this? I wouldn't mind doing some hiking/climbing or bouldering in the lone pine area, meet you on a certain day in a certain area and then I could take you two back to "the other side". Of course there would be dinner, drinks and kissing a$$ involved, but I could do it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Liz

Post by Liz »

We'll be doing our trip in late July or early August. We want to leave our car at the Portal, and then start our hike from Sequoia. So far, the best I have is:
- drive our car to Bakersfield.
- rent a car in Bakersfield.
- caravan to the Portal.
- drive rental car to Visalia.
- take shuttle from Visalia to Sequoia.

Phew! We cannot do Lone Pine to Visalia rental b/c there are no helpful rental offices in LP. Cannot do Bishop to Visalia, b/c those cities are in 2 different "groups" so we have to do Bakersfield.

EnFuego- If you would really help us out, and commit 100% we'd give you some $$ and agree to everything else you suggested!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Liz wrote:EnFuego- If you would really help us out, and commit 100% we'd give you some $$ and agree to everything else you suggested!
I told you I could help you and I'm willing to commit 95%. Sicne you haven't locked down a date, I need to reserve 3% to back out. And I also need to reserve 2% in case you don't kiss enough a$$ to convince me to pick you up. :twisted:
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

start in sequoia, take the High Sierra Trail to Whitney, and come back to sequoia thru colby pass, deadman canyon, elizabeth pass or silliman, back to lodgepole

its probably 130-155 miles, but that loop is the best ever!
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Liz wrote: Phew! We cannot do Lone Pine to Visalia rental b/c there are no helpful rental offices in LP.
I know people that have got dropped off in Yosemite or Sequoia, then rented a one way UHaul in Lone Pine (at GARDNERS TRUE VALUE) and drove it home. (dropped it off at the Uhaul closest to their house).
Liz

Post by Liz »

Thanks. Looks like a friend MAY help us out. If that falls through, we'll rent a car in Bakersfield, leave our car @ Whitney Portal, then return the rental in Visalia and catch the Sequoia shuttle into the park. Phew! I'm a logistics girl, for sure!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

We used this guy lasy year. I had heard that he was out of business, but I just saw a reference to his Web page on the Whitney Portal Store Message Board.

The Mt. Whitney Shuttle Service
P.O. Drawer A Lone Pine, CA 93545
Telephone: 760-876-1915 Best time to call: evenings (Pacific)
e-Mail: info@mountwhitneyshuttle.com

Transportation to and from trailheads in the Eastern Sierras

Whitney Portal
Taboose Pass
Tuolumne Meadows
Cottonwood (HSM)
Glacier Lodge
Yosemite
Shepherd Pass
North/South Lakes
Olancha Pass
Onion Valley
Pine Creek
Kennedy Meadows
Baxter Pass
Rock Creek
Sequoia
Sawmill Pass
Mammoth Lakes
Elsewhere by request

Park & Ride Service – Leave your car(s) at your destination point and get a relaxing ride to your starting point!

Connections to airports, car rentals, and bus lines (CREST and YARTS)

Plenty of room for 7 passengers and 7 Backpacks

California Public Utilities Commission permit # TCP 22306-P

Fully insured $1.5M (commercial public auto) to protect all passengers

Cash or credit (Visa, Discover coming soon!) or PayPal

Travel Suggestions (maps, schedules, commentary) coming soon!