Changes on Baldy

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I have not been getting in enough hiking lately due, in part, to watching a lot of high school cross country. So, after yesterday's meet, I headed over to Mt. Baldy and hiked to the top via the Ski Hut Trail. The trail is as popular as ever.

As discussed on the SGWA Message Board recently, there has been a very visible change to the first half mile of the hike. The fire road from Manker Flat has been paved as far as San Antonio Falls. It is a bit of a shock to the senses at first.

JayO

Post by JayO »

Alan - If your son's cross country season goes on much longer, they will probably have the trail paved all the way up to the Ski Hut by the next time you get out for a hike! :wink:
Travis

Post by Travis »

why do you think they are paving the road? It doesn't seem like the ski hill is popular enough, are they going to build condos and a ski lodge at the summit of Baldy?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Travis -- Speculation on the SGWA board was that the paving was done at the behest of the cabins along the road to the falls.

Jay -- I am reasonably sure that cross country for Eric ends on December 1. We are planning to hit the trails together the following weekend. Meanwhile, I am trying to sneak in a couple of hikes so that I am completely unprepared.