AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Nice report and nice goin'! :)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Good stuff. Congrats!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

yawzaw! You like? It's one of the hardest hike I've ever done, that be fo sho!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

very cool!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Congrats to you and your group, Joe!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they have permit quotas for the hike to San Jacinto from Long Valley. This makes sense because the people who run (and make money off the tram) wouldn't want their customers to be turned back by a permit quota.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Excellent trip report! Thanks for the details. 8)
You have added another hike to my must do list, or bucket list. This one could put me in the bucket! :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Tim wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they have permit quotas for the hike to San Jacinto from Long Valley. This makes sense because the people who run (and make money off the tram) wouldn't want their customers to be turned back by a permit quota.
That's my understanding. If you come up the tram, you get a permit, irrespective of how many other people are out there that day. When they gerrymandered the wilderness boundary to allow the tram, not only did they remove part of the land from the wilderness, they removed any protection by guaranteeing limitless access. I guess the limitless access isn't the complete end of the world, but the area at the top of the tram in and around Long Valley does look pretty trampled, and good luck if you want a quiet hike to the peak. With that much traffic to the peak, we practically need a carpool lane.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
With that much traffic to the peak, we practically need a carpool lane.
Very true. When I did the hike in August on a Sunday, coming down it seemed like hoards passing me.
I was gassed so it was like I was the old lady in the old bug in the right lane and all these bleeps in BMW's were passing me like crazy.

As far as the number of permits, there's just the self filled out stack outside the Ranger office. You fill it out and off you go.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

I obliged, but admittedly with some elitist hiking feelings. ????

Hey, first you call me a stalker, then you accuse me of being the nipple guy, now you call me crazy? When did I ever call you a name? oh yeah, i did call you johioseph. well that's not really in the same category.
Anyway what is that? you think you are better than those guys? What's the name for that? superioritycomplexmaximus? what ever dude!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice report Jim. I've been meaning to do this one for some time.

I think I will before Christmas - I'm headed up to the 9 peaks in San Bernardino in two weeks - first things first.

:D