May Peak and Fernando 2 BM

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
David R

Post by David R »

No write-ups in a while, so here you go. May Peak is on the Lower Peak List and for some reason is typically hiked from Santa Clarita or as a drive up to the saddle. There is a much more enjoyable and challenging route from Sylmar. I am the first to admit that I didn't even know that the Veterans Memorial Community Park even existed. It is a really nice and spacious size park. Parking for this hike can be found by making an immediate left on entering the park or you can drive up to the top lot in the NW corner of the park. One write-up of hiking near this park called it Latino Runyon which is an apt description as the lower section is very busy and I was the only white person out there.

You head upwards and will find a chain link fence opening to the left that allows you to access an old paved road. From here head straight up ignoring a turn off to the left and then right. You will then see a very steep firebreak ahead of you. You can either take this up or meander up on the road. Most of the casual hikers go up this route and down the road or just hike up the road to where the two routes meet. This firebreak is very steep and slippery with it being rocky with a small film of dirt covering most of it. The first climb while steep is pretty quick and you reconnect with the road in about 10-15 minutes. From here continue straight up the ridge and all the crowds will dissipate as you climb up a mellow section that quickly gets steeper and steeper until you reach the main ridge with a flag on top of it. This ridge trends E-W and you will head to the left on an obvious use trail and go to the third bump with some cairns piled up on the summit. The second bump seemed higher but whatever.

I then retraced my steps back and dropped down a decently steep use trail to the Santa Clara Divide Road. I immediately went back up a steep loose dirt section towards Fernando BM after about 150 feet the footing gets easier as you make your way up to the old Nike installation. I liked the views better from here. I decided to take the roads on the way back for a change of pace and to do less damage to my joints. Dropping off the back side of Fernando there is a fire station oddly located out here where a chopper was landing. Heading back on the Divide road I passed a couple of trucks with hunters peering through binoculars looking for deer. The road is still primarily paved with some sections of dirt and ruts but easily driveable albeit on a narrow road. After passing May you come to a junction that would take you back to Santa Clarita or continue left on the semi-paved road back to Sylmar. The road is very gentle as it makes its way back and seems to be a perfect road for bikers and as I thought this, I saw one coming up. About halfway down there is a bench which appears to be the spot where most of the casual hikers stop at as I hadn't seen anyone since May Peak, hiking. The lower I got the more hikers were out but less then when I started as it had warmed up. The whole hike was probably around 10 miles with all the road hiking and 3,000 feet elevation gain. If I would go back I would probably bite the bullet and come down the steep firebreak.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. The buildings at that fire station were originally part of the Nike missile complex.

012866pr.jpg