Animals on Everest

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Every year there is a week or so of news stories about people dying on Mt. Everest. Apparently it's a real "zoo" up there on the summit, with hundreds of human animals pushing and shoving each other in a long line to the top of the world. Who could have guessed that the stairway to heaven would be littered with empty oxygen bottles and dead bodies?

Of course someone, or something, must be blamed for this annual chaos. Clearly there's a lot of blame to go around. Inexperienced climbers hold up the queues and cause emergencies. Extreme weather limits the number of good days to summit. The Nepalese officials issue too many permits and make poor regulatory decisions. Personally, I blame Mt. Everest--for being so high, so cold, so hard to reach, and for having such a small summit area.
David R

Post by David R »

I blame the Nepalese, issue as many permits as they would like but then they need to create the infrastructure to get on top. I think it it reasonable to expect an elevator up to the South Col and an escalator to the top. Finally add a viewing site on top similar to what they have at the Grand Canyon, where you can walk over the abyss. I would suppose with the speed and efficiency that this would create, that people would have to go up in pressurized suits but that is a small sacrifice to get on top of the world.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Our country has more of them(the road to mightyers) than the rest put together.
Equal access for all for all routes.

Dont forget per outdoor tourism industry: "Freedom of movement and the right to mobility and travel are considered basic human rights in an international covenant signed by most of the world’s countries. However, accessible tourism is still not a reality in many places, including in developed destinations."
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

At the very least a rope tow would be appropriate and would also provide the proper spacing and timing for the crowds.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

David R wrote: I think it it reasonable to expect an elevator up to the South Col and an escalator to the top.
A subway train ride would be less of an eyesore, and it would not interfere with the losers who still want to summit the old-fashioned way via walking.

everest-meme.jpg
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Sean wrote: A subway train ride would be less of an eyesore, and it would not interfere with the losers who still want to summit the old-fashioned way via walking.
Sounds very European. Straight up and then you could make the height even taller like the picture. Could even sell an exclusive Patagonia $1,000 tshirt at the top.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I blame Elon Musk. His Boring Company should have already dug a hole up the center of the mountain for the express elevator to hell.