Good day on Iron Mountain

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Hiked Iron Mountain yesterday (3/29/2014) it turned out to be perfect weather for this kind of hike, sunny with a mild breeze and at about mid day a light haze arrived, which wasn't a bad thing as it made the descent much cooler. The trail was in better condition than usual, it seems that somebody has been doing trail maintenance and kindly cut back some of those Yuccas. Whoever did it, you get my vote for good hiking Samaritan of the month. The hike was mostly uneventful and the only other hikers were a group lead by Rick Zhou who I met on the summit, plus a couple of campers at the Saddle. With recent rain dampening down the trail this is a good time to hike Big Iron before summer turns much of it into a hot, loose and dusty trek.

Cheers Phil

Pics:

http://philbrown.smugmug.com/Other/Iron ... &k=d8Xp9RH
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Very nice hike! That shot down San Antonio Ridge is my favorite angle on Baldy.

When did the W15 sign come out of the ground? I haven't been up there in a long time.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

That was your 52nd time bagging Big Iron? Incredible!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Mike P wrote: That was your 52nd time bagging Big Iron? Incredible!
+1

Awesome.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Your right Tekewin this pic from 12th Dec 2013 shows the marker post was still standing then, I think it was only held up by a few rocks.

Mike/Uncle, as for the Iron summits I had nothing better to do when I lived close by in Glendora. Apart from drinking of course.

lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Phil B wrote: Your right Tekewin this pic from 12th Dec 2013 shows the marker post was still standing then, I think it was only held up by a few rocks.

Mike/Uncle, as for the Iron summits I had nothing better to do when I lived close by in Glendora. Apart from drinking of course.

The Iron Man of Iron Mountain, nice work Phil, great to meet you last Sunday at the Climb for Heroes, fun day.

Cheers :D

Lilbitmo/Patrick