A Visit to Big Falls

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I took the family up to visit Big Falls on Saturday. It's been a dry couple of years, but the falls are flowing well.
If one were looking for a good place to hike or backpack in a dry year, Falls Creek, which is accessible from the Momyer Creek Trailhead, would be a good pick.

And with all that water, what is one to do? Brew up one's favorite tea of course. Just because we're hiking doesn't mean we have to be uncivilised. ;)

Crossing Mill Creek this year was basically nothing. The water petered out just at the point you'd want to cross.

The signage at Big Falls is in good condition. My impression is that the San Bernardino National Forest is doing a pretty good job with respect to keeping things maintained. This is in contrast with certain other forests in the Southern California area where the FS seems to have thrown in the towel. Speaking of signage, I've never seen trail signage as good as what is in the SGW anywhere else in Southern California (maybe anywhere).

New information board at Big Falls:

The new potties at Big Falls are beautiful and are among the best smelling I've ever encountered. They were notably clean.

I'm not too hot on locked gates and having to show one's pass, but it does seem to be helping to keep things clean. I do note that showing a pass or paying the entry fee at Big Falls is no different than what has been done at state and national parks for many years. With respect to the gate, hopefully a reasonable compromise can be struck, the gates opened at 0400, and things, while not perfect, will be good.

HJ