Vincent Gap Trail (Mt. Baden-Powell)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

Was up there yesterday. From 8000' there is solid snow cover, but you can manage without crampons. There is a good boot track and even if you fall you won't slide into the abyss. I also tagged Ross Mountain which is a very nice sidetrip since it does not get visited very often.
tpfishnfool

Post by tpfishnfool »

Was up there yesterday and snow from 8600 to summit. Did not have crampons and wanted them coming down fron summit to 8600. A bit scetchy coming down that part of the mountain. You lose the the trail and its a scramble the last 1/2 mile.
radicchio

Post by radicchio »

Is it possible to get up over the snow on the north face by taking the ridge? Or is there still a cap on the whole mountain?

Or how would bushwacking under the snowline be?
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

As of SundayI probably did a total of 50 steps up and back in the snow. No need for crampons trail runners are fine.
Deb

Post by Deb »

Great trip with great friends to tag BP and Burnham today. We broke trail in 6"-12" of rather gooey snow from Vincent Gap to BP and onward to Burnham. Winds were terrific from the NW at a sustained 35mph with gusts that just about knocked me over. Spindrift was tasty as well. Still a beautiful day! We could see downtown LA, Catalina, Channel Is, and San Clemente. Even the ships in Long Beach Harbor. Very cool!
Going was relatively slow (RT 8 hours) due to inconsistencies in snowpack and wind. Frozen slab under 6" of wet snow. Wind scoured icy sections. Cornices. Thigh deep plunging into powder. All in all, I thought the snow conditions were wonderfully setting up for some ski descents. :)
Crampons absolutely necessary. Snowshoes never left our packs.
BTW, the summit register box of BP is broken and filled with snow. Book is wet. damn
Burnham was an anti-climatic summit but at least that's one more peak tagged for us.
Have fun out there!
Taco

Post by Taco »

Thanks Deb! Hey, this friday we are headed up there to try to get some ice. Wadayasay?
Marty

Post by Marty »

Thanks for the update. I'll be heading out to that area this weekend. How were the road conditions on the 2?
Deb

Post by Deb »

HELLA good luck with the ice, Taco!
Road conditions were fine; we had a thin layer of ice at 7AM but I'm sure it'll be clear now.
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

Any suggestions or precautions for hiking in the wind tomorrow. I plan on doing the three t,s.
Taco

Post by Taco »

We got a good amount of ice, and did our own new route (WI3ish M3ish 100ft?). Not overly technical but the lower angle ice threw me off and the sketch factor was relatively high. Pics soon. Kinda beat from today's mishaps.
jmac

Post by jmac »

Heck yeah! Can't wait to see the pics. Going up in 7hrs, so I probably won't see them until I'm back. Looking forward to some BP winter fun finally!
hajipaji

Post by hajipaji »

I'm looking to hike to Mt. Baden Powel from Vincent Gap.

What are the trails like?
How much snow / ice?
Karen R

Post by Karen R »

I hiked up last weekend, 5/5. The trail is clear to about mile 3. There are patches of snow/ice in the shady spots after that. It's necessary to go off trail for about .75 mile on and off to get around the ice and snow. I hit the trail about 9 AM. I recommend microspikes or old crampons due to mixed conditions and poles. I made it without the spikes, but is slowed me down. Clear the last .25 mile or so from Wally to the summit. Softened by the time I headed down mid day. Have fun!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Best first post ever! :D
hajipaji

Post by hajipaji »

Thanks so much Karen, your post was helpful !

I hiked up today, 5/12. Trail conditions have not changed much from your description. I hit the trail at 11:00 a.m. The trail was clear until mile 3 and then there were patches of slushy snow. Needed to go off the trail to get around some of it, but it's easy to follow. I went with just my trail runners and no poles, and I was just fine. My first time to Baden Powell , it was beautiful!!
Logan

Post by Logan »

Hey Guys,

Can anyone please tell me the trail conditions for Baden Powell via Vincent Gap? Also, how is the road coming in through Wrightwood.

Thanks,
Logan
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

Logan wrote: Hey Guys,

Can anyone please tell me the trail conditions for Baden Powell via Vincent Gap? Also, how is the road coming in through Wrightwood.

Thanks,
Logan
Here's a link to CalTrans which updates the 2.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/display.php?page=sr2

Remember though that it looks like Mountain High opened this weekend so you can expect a ton of traffic coming up from Wrightwood.

Last year it seemed there were only a handful of days the 2 was closed between Islip and Big Pines. I was always curious about why they closed the road when snow plows were available so I asked a driver and he said it had more to do with falling rock than snow.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Anybody been up Baden Powell from Vincent Gap lately that can comment on current trail conditions? If so, what does the ridgeline down to Ross look like? Snow/ice-free?

Thx.
mrnizegy

Post by mrnizegy »

I went up Friday. It was clear the first mile, patchy the second mile and 100% coverage the rest of the way. It was knee deep and higher in a lot of areas to. The southern exposed ridges and faces are pretty clear. I made the mistake of leaving my snowshoes in the trunk. Blazed up the first two miles and postholed my way through the rest of the way. It was brutal but a great workout. Followed previous snowshoes tracks up. Because of the warm weather everything was really soft and deep.

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Thanks bro. That's good beta.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

anyone been up here lately? think these is still snow here? thanks
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Bump.

Thinking of doing Baden-Powell on Sunday 4/21. Any recent condition reports?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Admit it, you want to see another picture of Mr Nize Gy's package. :lol:
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Um, no. My Baden-Powell plans fell through this weekend anyway. By the time I make it there, hopefully most of the snow will be gone.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

I don't want to see any packages lol, but was thinking of doing this hike from islip saddle this sunday. should be clear by now right?
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

hey guys one more question, is route 2 angeles crest highway closed or open? i used to ride motorcycles up there and remberer it was closed a long time ago, then it reopened and you could go thru to wrightwood, and then it closed again (due to another landslide?) did it ever re-open?
cab

Post by cab »

Per the caltrans website: http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

SR 2
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM ISLIP SADDLE TO 5 MI WEST OF BIG PINES (LOS ANGELES CO)
- FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

ALL TRACTOR-SEMI TRAILER COMBINATIONS WITH 3 AXLES OR GREATER ARE
PROHIBITED FROM THE JCT OF I 210 /IN LA CANADA-FLINTRIDGE/ TO THE
ANGELES FOREST HIGHWAY (LOS ANGELES CO) - ALTERNATE ROUTES ARE AVAILABLE
Sean

Post by Sean »

I haven't been up there recently. But the CalTrans website says the road is still closed between Islip Saddle and 5 miles west of Big Pines. That sounds like you might be able to reach Vincent Gap coming from Wrightwood, but don't sue me if I'm wrong.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

thanks. I spoke with the ranger and the 2 is open from LA side to Islip Saddle TH, then closed to big pines as mentioned.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

The Wrightwood forum may have the very latest or someone who could give first hand knowledge...

This is where the "Road Condition" topic is located...
http://www.wrightwoodcalif.com/forum/in ... d,3.0.html