General Conditions

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Bill

Post by Bill »

drhabes wrote:Bill,

Never been to Little Jimmy without water in the spring...always there year round. Not familiar with Reed spring however. Have a great trip! :o
Thanks for the info! 8)
mattmaxon wrote: Little Jimmy Camp has very active bears... Hang your food... Leave your pack open...Don't be surprised if you're visited
Interesting! :shock:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Last year, I believe they actually had to remove one bear that had become so agressive it actually knocked one backpacker over (as the backpacker was setting his backpack down) when going after his food.

Take a look at this map link.

As noted, Reed Spring isn't a good bet. Neither is Windy Spring ("D"). Cortelyou Spring ("C") is very reliable. If you didn't want to wait until Little Jimmy (two more miles) to get water, you could stroll over to Cortelyou, get water, stroll back to Islip Saddle, and get back on route. Alternatively, you could walk along ACH from Islip Saddle to the spring, get water, continue walking down ACH, and then pick up a service road near Pine Hollow Picnic Area that rejoins your route. The service road in my opinion is nicer than the hot, exposed section of trail that climbs out of Islip Saddle. The service road isn't shown on the topo, but it shows up if you switch to satellite mode and zoom in a bit.

Little Jimmy spring ("E") is as noted rock solid. There's also Lilly Spring ("F"), but it's down a steep unmaintained side trail and is a pain to get to. It's pretty close to Little Jimmy Spring, so just fill up at Little Jimmy for your push back to Vincent Gap. There's no water from Lilly to Vincent Gap except for Lamel Spring ("G") which should have water this time of year. You have to watch for a path branching off to the spring as you descend from Baden-Powell to Vincent Gap. It's pretty close to the gap, so it may be just as easy to cache water in your vehicles. Of course the spring water might be a lot colder than water that's been sitting in vehicles for a while.

HTH,

HJ
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Last year, I believe they actually had to remove one bear that had become so agressive it actually knocked one backpacker over (as the backpacker was setting his backpack down) when going after his food.

Take a look at this map link.

As noted, Reed Spring isn't a good bet. Neither is Windy Spring ("D"). Cortelyou Spring ("C") is very reliable. If you didn't want to wait until Little Jimmy (two more miles) to get water, you could stroll over to Cortelyou, get water, stroll back to Islip Saddle, and get back on route. Alternatively, you could walk along ACH from Islip Saddle to the spring, get water, continue walking down ACH, and then pick up a service road near Pine Hollow Picnic Area that rejoins your route. The service road in my opinion is nicer than the hot, exposed section of trail that climbs out of Islip Saddle. The service road isn't shown on the topo, but it shows up if you switch to satellite mode and zoom in a bit.

Little Jimmy spring ("E") is as noted rock solid. There's also Lilly Spring ("F"), but it's down a steep unmaintained side trail and is a pain to get to. It's pretty close to Little Jimmy Spring, so just fill up at Little Jimmy for your push back to Vincent Gap. There's no water from Lilly to Vincent Gap except for Lamel Spring ("G") which should have water this time of year. You have to watch for a path branching off to the spring as you descend from Baden-Powell to Vincent Gap. It's pretty close to the gap, so it may be just as easy to cache water in your vehicles. Of course the spring water might be a lot colder than water that's been sitting in vehicles for a while.

HTH,

HJ
Thanks Jim. 8)
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Bill - when you planning this hike? Are you doing it as an overnighter?

Sounds pretty impressive.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Bill wrote:Thanks Jim. 8)
Always, bro, always happy to help if I can. You pick interesting hikes by the way. I gotta get my knee working again and GET OUT THERE.
Bill

Post by Bill »

EnFuego wrote:Bill - when you planning this hike? Are you doing it as an overnighter?
Thinking about Memorial day weekend. Probably stay overnight at little Jimmy. 8)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Tim wrote:God, I hate the heat. I can't wait for it to be fall already.
Tim posted this in the "New Header Picture" Thread

I couldn't agree more!

I'd have to say Summer is the least likable season here in SoCal

I try to keep those cold, windy, brisk days in mind when hiking in the broiling heat

So hang in there! Together well get through it! :lol:

Matt
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

I'll take 'em all except summer.

The only good thing about summer are summer dresses. The rest of it can go back to hell where it came from.

I love the almost instant change/smell in the air when fall hits. Then the miracles of rain and snow follow, only to be followed by the freshness of spring. All that is nice.

It's funny how the media shoves summer down us - like there is no other season of worthy. They can take their beach parties and go pound sand!

Now I can see how other parts of the country could go nuts during winter but how/why the media puts on the winter times blues stories for us is just laughable.

Maybe if I finally find a way to block out the late afternoon sun this summer, I might be happier about it ---- but good lord, when it's 90 degrees all day and that ball of fire doesn't go down until around 8pm, that sh*t is too much. Plus, or should I say, minus, it's always fun to try and sleep when it's 78 degrees at 2am :x

In the lean time...

Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

honestly summer just means go to higher altitude.

as long as there's no inversion layer, from what i've read you could estimate 3-4 degrees decrease per 1000 ft altitude increase.

so if its 80 at sea level, could be 50 deg on Baldy.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Too bad I can't vote twice because I'd vote for fall and winter. Fall is awesome because the temps are just right for hiking and the anticipation of snow around the corner. Then there's winter and well, that's enough said right there.

Hiking in the summer can be a bummer. It's oppressively hot, even at the higher elevations. It might be 80 at the beach but that means it's 100 in the inland valleys. No clouds anywhere so you've got mega skin cancer action. Air quality not too great either, so you've got lung cancer action on top of that. Views aren't so hot with that all that haze and smog. Then there are the bugs. Nasty, annoying flies that try to nest in your ears or huge deer flies that bite you and suck your blood. The Sierras are even worst with all those damn skeeters.

On the bright side, the summer desert thunderstorms are impressive. Those huge cloud formations over the mountains are a sight to behold.

I bought a Go-Lite silver umbrella this year. We'll see how well it works.
Taco

Post by Taco »

wrote:honestly summer just means go to higher altitude.

as long as there's no inversion layer, from what i've read you could estimate 3-4 degrees decrease per 1000 ft altitude increase.

Honestly, winter just means BUY SOME F($@#*ING CRAMPONS, ZE! :lol:

I like "seasons without snow" for two reasons:
1. Riding/driving season is in (nearly ALWAYS in here in SoCal)
2. Chicks wear less clothing.

So, I like it for one reason.
Yamaya

Post by Yamaya »

[quote="TacoDelRio
Honestly, winter just means BUY SOME F($@#*ING CRAMPONS, ZE! :lol:

[/quote]

That's exactly what I did... :D Winter is $$$$, but I like it.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Tim wrote:I bought a Go-Lite silver umbrella this year. We'll see how well it works.
Got one, have used it for years, love it!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

TacoDelRio wrote: Honestly, winter just means BUY SOME F($@#*ING CRAMPONS, ZE! :lol:
lol, am I gonna trust YOU to instruct me? :lol:

coincidentally lately i've been working with some guy who's into mountaineering who's good buddies with Kurt Wedberg...you damn people are everywhere!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:...you damn people are everywhere!
Actually, it's a cult -- an offshoot of Scientology if I remember right. Don't let them suck you in!! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bill

Post by Bill »

Fall for me is best. Gives you a break from the heat of summer, and you get the change of colors 8)
Plus the kids are back in school :lol:
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

wrote:honestly summer just means go to higher altitude.

Ze,

Don't get me wrong, I aint saying you are wrong...

But are there times when this rule gets twisted to some 'degree' :wink: :P ?

Seems like I've been on Mt Wilson when it seemed like it was 15 degrees hotter up there vs the valley floor.

Just curious, that's all.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I guess I should qualify my vote too...

Spring is my fav for several reasons
  • Snow

• water

• cool temps

• Longer days

• Flora

• Fauna
Getting toward summer is always a bummer, but I have Fall to look forward to! :D

For me summer not only means higher altitudes, but earlier starts. And not many arguments about it :lol: (CM)
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

I'll take fall & winter any time. Cross country skiing through Little Jimmy and over to Throop and down to Dawson Saddle. I love that trip. Of course, any time of the year up in the high country is just fine with me.

Hey!!! Did we have a winter this year??? Oh yea, short but sweet!

Any day in the mountains is better than my best day in the city. :D
Taco

Post by Taco »

wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote: Honestly, winter just means BUY SOME F($@#*ING CRAMPONS, ZE! :lol:
lol, am I gonna trust YOU to instruct me? :lol:

coincidentally lately i've been working with some guy who's into mountaineering who's good buddies with Kurt Wedberg...you damn people are everywhere!
Why, do I suck at walking or something? :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:Why, do I suck at walking or something? :lol:
Um, why, no Taco, you walk just fine.

I told you guys not to tell him. Sheesh, now you've gone and hurt his feelings. How much would have it hurt to keep the "little secret" about TDR quiet? Nice going. Sheesh.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Zach

Post by Zach »

is that a pic of william hung from american idol?
Taco

Post by Taco »

Beats me. I searched 'angry' on Google Images, and got that. :lol:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

outwhere wrote:
Ze,

Don't get me wrong, I aint saying you are wrong...

But are there times when this rule gets twisted to some 'degree' :wink: :P ?

Seems like I've been on Mt Wilson when it seemed like it was 15 degrees hotter up there vs the valley floor.

Just curious, that's all.
Yeah I think that's the "inversion layer" effect.
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

I was down at Icy Springs on Wednesday and there is good water there. Its early on once you start from Vincent Gap. There is still snow in the drainages high up on Throop to Baden-Powell. There is actually snow along the highway as well.

Have fun. Maybe we'll pass you somtime this weekend.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

wrote:Yeah I think that's the "inversion layer" effect.
Thank you, Ze! Now if you could just explain to me why my initial reading comprehension was so pitiful. :oops:
Bill

Post by Bill »

Richard N. wrote:I was down at Icy Springs on Wednesday and there is good water there. Its early on once you start from Vincent Gap. There is still snow in the drainages high up on Throop to Baden-Powell. There is actually snow along the highway as well.

Have fun. Maybe we'll pass you somtime this weekend.
Thanks Richard, for the intel.
Looks like it won't be this weekend my dad is having some health issues.
I did get to drive all the way up Hwy 2 this week, and it never looked nicer. 8)
Mntngoat

Post by Mntngoat »

Dare I say it, without getting flamed but fall is the start of hunting season. Hate the heat must easier chasing quail when it's cooler out!

ML
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Where is Icy Springs? I don't recall that one off the top of my head.

Normally, I'd look it up, but the topo maps tab on maper.acme.com doesn't seem to be working.