INTROS - New members, introduce yourself here!

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Welcome aboard dude! Good to see someone from the same neighborhood as well.
Jimmy H

Post by Jimmy H »

I just happen to stumble across this site a few weeks ago while looking for some beta on Iron Mtn. Anyway, here's my dealio:

I would say I'm an avid outdoor enthusiast. My background is bicyle racing (road and mtn), climbing (rock, ice, alpine, bouldering, walls, altitude, etc.), surfing, running, blah blah blah. If I go on it will just be ego talking...

I love animals and am routinely rescuing cats and dogs.

Political affiliation is devout centerist.

Anyway, I live in the north end of La Verne (on Marshall Canyon) and am psyched to check this place out.

Peace
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Welcome!

HJ
BreadHiker

Post by BreadHiker »

I've been lurking here for a while, partially because every time I went to post I couldn't remember what user name I'd made my account, and then by the time I remembered I was distracted by something else!

Thought it is in serious need of updating my friends and I do a little hiking blog at http://breadhiking.wordpress.com, and the source for the name being that I try to bake fresh bread for our hikes!

My friends and I generally do moderate hikes on alternate saturdays, they took the winter off for the most part so I'm just getting them ramped up again.

Beyond that I frequently take off on my weekday off (Tuesday) for solo hikes, been hiking the heck out of Mt Wilson this past winter. Though I'm hoping to get some real winter experiences in next year!

Beyond the hiking for hobbies, running, baking, chocolate making, just started making limoncello...
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Hi, I'm Rob.

My screen name is an old air name from my days as a radio DJ. It's my original Yahoo moniker, hence the phonetic spelling since Robnoxious was already taken. Despite the sound of it, I really am a nice guy.

I have a toehold into my 6th decade.

My grandmother started me on my love of hiking. My grandparents and my mother built a cabin near Running Springs so from my earliest days, the mountains have been a part of my life. I can remember paddle boarding with my sister at Deep Creek Lake, catching my first trout at Rainbow Lake, building tree houses, making mud pies and snowmen and just having a great time outdoors.

I like to hike and backpack. Would love to start doing some winter outings like I read about on here. I live in Burbank and am up in the Verdugos at least two or three times a week. In 2007, in honor of my 50th birthday, I did the main Mt. Whitney trail. Clouds rolled in just before summitting however so there was no view to be had. So did it again in 2008, not a cloud in the sky!

This summer I am looking forward to re-discovering the San Bernardino mountains as well as getting up into our pretty little San Gabriels as often as possible. I hope I see some of you on the trail.

BTW, Thank you Taco for this board! I really appreciate being able to hang out here with you and everyone else.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Gonna go ahead and bust out the nerd in response to illusives post. Druids>wizards at kiting in everquest. Haha I played that game way too long
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

Funyan005 wrote: Gonna go ahead and bust out the nerd in response to illusives post. Druids>wizards at kiting in everquest. Haha I played that game way too long
lol....good times.
Fart Baron

Post by Fart Baron »

I enjoy mountains, bikes, dirtbikes, beer, and farting of course. 8)
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

You'll excuse me if I stand upwind of you on the trail.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Fart Baron wrote: I enjoy mountains, bikes, dirtbikes, beer, and farting of course. 8)
This man is not to be trusted.

He also likes George Michael.
arctic_grayling

Post by arctic_grayling »

Hey all, I'm Chad.

I'm 24, grew up in Alaska/Utah, and I like to ski, fly fish, and hike. I moved to the LA area in August of 2009. 2 days after completing my first hike in the San Gabriels (Switzer Falls to JPL), the fire happened. Since then I've been exploring a lot of the non-burned areas, mostly by foot, and sometimes with a flyrod in my hand. I'm currently halfway through medical school, so that often limits my time outside, but I do the best I can. With few canyoneering skills, no money, and a large daily time commitment, I was running out of ideas for unique adventures in this area... but I ran across this website and it's a gold mine. This finding, along with the fact that parts of the burn area are supposed to be opening up should provide some new inspiration for exploring the area. I'm off to hike Mt. Cucamonga, maybe I'll see some of y'all out there!

Chad
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Welcome, bro.

Fly fishing in the San Gabs is a bit, well, dry, but good luck.

HJ
Logan

Post by Logan »

arctic_grayling wrote: Hey all, I'm Chad.

I'm 24, grew up in Alaska/Utah, and I like to ski, fly fish, and hike. I moved to the LA area in August of 2009. 2 days after completing my first hike in the San Gabriels (Switzer Falls to JPL), the fire happened. Since then I've been exploring a lot of the non-burned areas, mostly by foot, and sometimes with a flyrod in my hand. I'm currently halfway through medical school, so that often limits my time outside, but I do the best I can. With few canyoneering skills, no money, and a large daily time commitment, I was running out of ideas for unique adventures in this area... but I ran across this website and it's a gold mine. This finding, along with the fact that parts of the burn area are supposed to be opening up should provide some new inspiration for exploring the area. I'm off to hike Mt. Cucamonga, maybe I'll see some of y'all out there!

Chad
Welcome to the forum.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Welcome aboard. Lots of canyoneering to do here.
EL

Post by EL »

Me myself and I

Name : EL "yes that's my name"

Lazy hiker by choice.

P.S. will edit and ad more when I'm at work as that's the only place I get productive !
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice shot. Garnet Lake?

Welcome.

HJ
EL

Post by EL »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Nice shot. Garnet Lake?

Welcome.

HJ
Thank you !

Yes, Garnet Lake ; JMT September 2010 .
You good !!
I had to google the lake to make sure since I'm very bad with names of location.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

dude El! haven't seen you in like 3 years!
EL

Post by EL »

Hey Ze !
Times flies!!!.
Yes ,it was a couple of years that I was hiking with you ( more like barely trying to keep you insight as I was way behind).
Waoo what a small world "wild" web.

Hope to catch you on the trail very soon, as I need to shed a lot of few pound and definitively need a motivation.
Steele

Post by Steele »

Hi! The name's Jeff. I'm 23 years old and just graduated from the Santa Ana College Basic Fire Academy. I'm also working towards a degree in Kinesiology. I like shooting, snowboarding, baseball, and many other things.

Last January I took a hike on the Bridge to Nowhere trail and loved it. I've known Taco for a while now and he took me on my first canyoneering trip last Thursday. It was a heck of on introduction. No sign of human passage and about 10 rappels (Steele Taco Canyon in the Trip Report forum).

I'm officially hooked. I can't wait to get out there again. Hopefully some time very soon! I look forward to seeing you all!
Olivine

Post by Olivine »

HI EVERYONE! I am new to this site, so I wanted to introduce myself as well.

My screen name is the name of my favorite mineral...I am a geologist, living in the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains. Early 30s, looking to find hiking buddies with mutual enthusiasm for the mountains. I stepped up my hiking game about 6 years ago and haven't looked back since. I am hoping to increase my knowledge and skill and challenge myself in all kinds of ways :D
EL

Post by EL »

Olivine wrote: HI EVERYONE! I am new to this site, so I wanted to introduce myself as well.

My screen name is the name of my favorite mineral...I am a geologist, living in the beautiful San Bernardino Mountains. Early 30s, looking to find hiking buddies with mutual enthusiasm for the mountains. I stepped up my hiking game about 6 years ago and haven't looked back since. I am hoping to increase my knowledge and skill and challenge myself in all kinds of ways :D
Welcome, let use your geologist expertise and find me some gold ...
Taco

Post by Taco »

EL wrote:
Olivine wrote: HI EVERYONE! I am new to this site, so I wanted to introduce myself as well.

Welcome, let use your geologist expertise and find me some gold ...
jmac

Post by jmac »

I have been meaning to write this introduction for a while now. Sorry, I have been super busy lately. I have been a stalker around these parts for quite a while and would like to express my appreciation for all the great information that is provided on this forum. There is such a nice group of people on here! I don't think I have ever been on any forum with so many friendly, informative, patient, and helpful people. So, thank you to the admin and members alike for creating such a comfortable atmosphere. I love this forum. I promise to contribute in the future. :D

*Picture of you*<----Over there to the left. Thats me with my son!

Name: JMAC, simply my initials.

What kinda stuff you do: Hiking, Backpacking, Camping, Photography, and anything else that involves the outdoors. I am slowly introducing myself to the world of mountaineering and climbing as I gather all the proper gear.

Intro/bio: I absolutely love the outdoors and I have a horrible addiction to the mountains! I don't think I could ever be happy in an area with no mountains. I have an amazing and beautiful wife and we are proud parents of two wonderful children. I am an Environmental Science major and I actually do plan to finish college one day. Hopefully. I am a huge fan of John Muir and I love the photography of Ansel Adams, so naturally I love to spend a lot of time in both the John Muir and Ansel Adams Wilderness Areas. Now if I could only find someone to pay me to hike and take pictures all day I would be one happy camper.

Please feel free to visit my photo blog. I love to share my photography with like minded people! http://trailsandwhatnot.blogspot.com/
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

jmac wrote: I have a horrible addiction to the mountains!
Ohmigosh! How horrible! :wink:

Welcome.

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

Hey hey, welcome!
terrifyinghorsemask

Post by terrifyinghorsemask »

*Picture of you*

Name: (See above)

I like hiking, backpacking, trail running, scrambling, survival shit and extreme halfdome slamjumping (you've probably never heard of it)

I've been hiking for as long as I can remember, but have just recently found a renewed interest in it (with taco's help). I love the wilderness, the sound of trees, and the feeling of being nowhere fucking near cities. I enjoy photography, the outdoors being one of the main subjects of my pictures. I am a pantheist. Hoping to fill this summer with lots of badass outdoor trips! 8)
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

Just wanted to say "Hey" officially ahaha. Im a 17 year old climber from the LBC I've been climbing since January of this year and have a decent amount of experience for climbing for only 6 months. My major accomplishments are Mt. Langley via the NE Coulior, and Mt. Whitney via the Mountaineers route. I love to climb its my greatest passion in life. I've also been backpacking since I was 12, I have done some rock climbing in the gym but want to get outdoors and do some climbing. I also work raising money for Big City Mountaineers a non-profit that takes inner-city youth on backpacking trips with mentors. More info about me and my climbs is on my blog:

http://questforbigcitymountaineers.blogspot.com/
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

QuestforBCM wrote: Just wanted to say "Hey" officially ahaha. Im a 17 year old climber from the LBC
LBC? Lower Baja California?

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

Long Beach Crips.