Mini trip report: Baldy on Nov 18

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
dima

Post by dima »

Just went up Baldy via the ski hut and the trail around the bowl. The bowl is fairly dry on the right. The left side LOOKS snowy, but maybe still isn't enough to climb. The backbone (and the traverse across Harwood) look dry, although we didn't go over there. Traction devices become necessary at the ski hut. Most people were wearing microspikes, but I'd wear crampons if you've got them. Snow is slushy or icy depending on where you are. It's not deep anywhere: I wasn't wearing gaiters, and didn't need them.
R0002527.jpg
R0002523.jpg
R0002521.jpg
R0002514.jpg
R0002508.jpg
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

How was the wind? I was on Sunset this morning and it was very windy, enough so that I didn't spend much time there despite lugging the Jetboil up with me. It blew hard enough to rock me back while sitting on a tree stump and my hands were so cold I couldn't zip up my windbreaker. (no gloves)
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
dima

Post by dima »

Huh. It was pretty mild, even on the peak. Odd.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. I haven't been to Baldy in awhile, but I always enjoy watching people without spikes negotiate the icy section after the hut.
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

How did the north backbone look to pine mountain? Any guess if it'd be possible without snowshoes?
dima

Post by dima »

I didn't go over there, so take it with a grain of salt. I'd guess strongly that snow shoes wouldn't help you: there isn't a ton of snow, and what there is isn't soft and deep to make snow shoes useful. Ice axe and crampons probably are a requirement, though