Fungus of the Eastern US

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Been in the DC area for about two months now and missing SoCal! I haven't had a chance to do any real hiking or get out of town, but have at least been spending a fair bit of time running in nearby Rock Creek Park. I have come up with a groundbreaking scientific theory: West + dry = cactus, East + wet = fungus. So anyway I've been getting distracted by cool fungus as I run, stopping to take pictures pretty frequently. Things are finally starting to cool down so fungus season seems to be coming to an end, but it's been fun. Here are some highlights so far.

No idea what any of them are called, they just look neat!
fungus08.jpg
fungus07.jpg
fungus06.jpg
fungus05.jpg
fungus04.jpg
fungus03.jpg
fungus02.jpg
fungus01.jpg
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

fungus15.jpg
fungus14.jpg
fungus13.jpg
fungus12.jpg
fungus11.jpg
fungus10.jpg
fungus09.jpg
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Crazy fungi! One looks like red beets, one like anemones. Mushrooms are just the fruit of the organism that has tendrils deep in the soil or plant.

Cordyceps is a parasite on insects, growing right out of their bodies. Alien.

This guy thinks human consciousness arose by eating psychedelic mushrooms. Alien.

Super weird.
Sean

Post by Sean »

tekewin wrote:This guy thinks human consciousness arose by eating psychedelic mushrooms.
This theory is actually very easy to test. I fed my cat shrooms every day for a year. She now speaks English and rants about white male privilege. True story.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I believe the yellow fungus in the first photo is called Witches Butter. (Tremella species) I have posted some rare fungus similar to yours a while back
(mushrooms-mushrooms-mushrooms-t7492.html#p56045) and I have seen those red ones only here in Altadena.
The ones you posted are really beautiful and interesting.