Another bird ID!

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Saw this pretty bird on the PCT between Mill Creek Summit and Pacifico Campground, 5 May 2018. Looks a lot like a Wilson's Warbler, but the habitat doesn't quite match ("dense, brushy vegetation near water"). Any alternate ideas? Thanks!
DSC01020.jpg
DSC01021.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I am not good at warblers, but I concur with Wilson's Warbler. @Mike P

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Wilsons_Warbler/id

Wilson’s Warblers breed in mountain meadows and thickets near streams, especially those with willows and alders. They also breed along the edges of lakes, bogs, and aspen stands. Pacific Coast populations breed in shrubby habitat and in young stands of conifers, alders, or maples. During migration they use woodlands, suburban areas, desert scrub, and shrubby areas near streams.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Thanks! That detail on the Pacific populations does help. It also could have been migration time (took me a while to get the photos off the camera ?)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Wait for Mike to chime in. @oldcoot is a birder who might know too. I am just concurring :) It's not as if I know for sure or would have been able to make the ID on my own.
oldcoot

Post by oldcoot »

I think you're right with Wilson's Warbler...

A lot of birds have been showing up out of their normal habitats this year...we had a Brown Pelican for a month at Lake Balboa (Sepulveda Basin, San Fernando Valley) back in May and a Black Skimmer for a day a couple of weeks ago (both unusual away from the immediate coast), and a Sage Thrasher (mainly a desert bird) at a picnic lawn at Sepulveda Basin back in March...(we do have Wilson's Warblers at Sepulveda, too, every year...a more expected habitat for them)...

But that's one of the neat things about birds...anything can turn up anywhere at any time (but probably won't)...

Thanks to all for your reports and photos...don't hike a lot anymore (did do local Runyon Canyon...5-mile roundtrip from my apartment, 1000 feet of gain/loss, last week), but always enjoy reading about your adventures!

oldcoot
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Definitely a Wilson's Warbler... They are fairly common in the San Gabriel range. Thanks for the pics!
@Slowest_Hiker @HikeUp