Baden-Powell 2-20-16

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
mrnizegy

Post by mrnizegy »

Headed up to Vincent Gap with the hope of summiting but the intention of trying out some new boots (see my Gear Review). I got to the parking lot a few minutes after 7:00 am on Saturday 2/20. There was only one other car in the lot. As I was getting out I saw a couple headed down the trail to Big Horn Mine. The trail was dry for 1/2 mile or so with a few patches of ice. After coming to longer patch I decided it was time for microspikes. I kept them on while the trail was still flat. Soon after the hard packed snow/ice was about a 30° pitch or so on the trail, and it was time for crampons and ice axe. The snow was pretty much frozen over all day except in places where it gets some sun. Even though conditions were deep in some areas, I never had to post hole. Occasionally my ice axe would sink the entire length of the shaft, but most of the day I was striking ice.

I lost the trail of switchbacks somewhere between mile 2 and 3 and started heading straight up, following a faint sign of tracks. A short while later a couple other guys caught up to me. They were appropriately geared up and told me how others in tennis shoes had rightly turned back when the trail turned to ice. (Hopefully news of the last few weeks' tragedies and rescues in our local mountains have made people aware winter conditions are no joke.) I hiked with them until we reached the ridge where I stopped to eat while they headed up to the summit. I ate lunch at the ridge and enjoyed the view for about an hour. Knowing my speed and my limits, some time around 12:30 or 1:00 pm I headed back down. After a couple stops for lace adjustments and crampon removal I reached the parking lot around 3:30.

Clearly by the texture of the snow, Wednesday and Thursday's rain did not mean snow on the mountain.

Icy pretty much the whole way.

The last push to the ridge.

Sunny all day, warm in the sun and cool in the shade. No additional layers needed.

Baden-Powell. You can see the two that continued on about half way up.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the pics. That's a lot of crappy ice. But the view was worth it I'm sure.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Great pics nizegy. Looks icy, but beautiful. Appreciate the report.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Very nice! Bonus points for not dying!
wiggingout

Post by wiggingout »

That was me and my buddy, haha. Awesome day, nice to have ran into you.
wiggingout

Post by wiggingout »

Check out my friends trip report of the same day!

http://foreveroutsideco.com/blog/2016/2 ... den-powell
mrnizegy

Post by mrnizegy »

wiggingout wrote: Check out my friends trip report of the same day!

http://foreveroutsideco.com/blog/2016/2 ... den-powell
Ya I was pretty exhausted. And taking it safe and slow since I was solo. My hiking partner wasn't able to join me.

I recommend KT Tape to your friend for blister prevention.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Does anyone know if the trail is free of snow and Ice for a hike this weekend? Wanted to lead a group of scouts up.
Thanks
Sean

Post by Sean »

We went up from Dawson Saddle. No snow on the summit. A couple very small patches where we had to be extra careful on the trail.

We didn't see the trail from Vincent Gap, but clearly it wasn't a problem for the PCT thru-hikers we saw, one of whom was in flip-flops.

Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I didn't think about coming from the other side that might be a good option as well.
Thnaks
psykokid

Post by psykokid »

Sean wrote: We went up from Dawson Saddle. No snow on the summit. A couple very small patches where we had to be extra careful on the trail.
Nice to hear that they finally have the road open between Islip and Vincent. I went up there last Sept and had planned on hiking from Dawson saddle. Got to Islip to find the gate closed. Ended up making it out and back to MBP from Islip, it ended up doubling the mileage that I was planning on doing that day though. Probably going to hike from Dawson to MBP this Saturday morning and tag Throop and Burnham while I'm up there for giggles.