20120218 Death Valley Canyoneering - BIG rapps

Archived TRs for desert ranges.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Scott, Aysel, Yannick, Shirley, Amanda and I did some big stuff. First descents or whatnot. Two big rapps, first one was 370ft, second was 350ft.

We got a core shot on the second rappel. So, we had to pass it 200ft up in the air. It was uncomfortable, to say the least.

Pics:

Approach

R1

R2

Aysel going down first on the 370ft'er

A bit far down eh?

Tiny people

More

Close up

~

Amanda

Next rapp 350ft

Right before reaching the core shot

At a ledge most of the way down, after passing the core shot.

Rapp

Amanda and Aysel with the core shot we all passed. Nobody died.

Going home, with the 370ft'er in the background

A short rapp

Going home

Album with a couple videos: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/T ... ?start=all
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Beautiful pictures Mr. Taco. Those 300' ++ rappels are way cool.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Im so glad youre all ok. Especially you hon. aside from the NDE, It looks really cool!
norma r

Post by norma r »

Glad you got a chance to go out there and experience a DV mega canyon. I really loved the day i spent in Cerebus in Dec. Very cool, Taco et al!... 'cept for that core shot, freaky.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Super pictures! Thanks for posting. You just have to love Death Valley. It's hard to believe that 150 years ago the 49er's were struggling to get out of the place alive. Now it's a playground.

By the way, check out Michel Digonnet's description of Bad Canyon in "Hiking Death Valley". I keep hoping one of our canyoneers will take on it's 200 foot dryfall.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I think folks do Bad Cyn on a regular basis, no?
turtle

Post by turtle »

RichardK wrote: By the way, check out Michel Digonnet's description of Bad Canyon in "Hiking Death Valley". I keep hoping one of our canyoneers will take on it's 200 foot dryfall.
A photo from Bad Canyon of a smaller (but much more aesthetic) dryfall down canyon from the 200 foot dryfall you mention.

turtle

Post by turtle »

Taco wrote: Two big rapps, first one was 370ft, second was 350ft.

We got a core shot on the second rappel. So, we had to pass it 200ft up in the air. It was uncomfortable, to say the least.
Yikes! :shock:

A few questions from someone trying to understand this a bit better... please don't take them as criticism or Monday-morning quarterbacking. From the Widowmaker thread it's abundantly clear I should be the last to do that!

1) Did the core shot occur at some sort of obvious feature? A rough spot on the rock? Perhaps a lip where a less-than-vertical polished chute transitioned to a free rappel?

2) Were you moving the rope between rappellers?

3) Would you describe the rope as "fully-static" or "semi-static"? Was there much bouncing on rappel?

4) Did you consider isolating the core shot with an alpine butterfly and passing it on rappel? (Only an option if either (a) you are confident there are no equally large rappels down canyon, (b) you can escape the canyon, or (c) you are prepared to spend one or more nights awaiting rescue.)
Taco

Post by Taco »

Hey Mark, I'll talk to you in person about it. :-) I'm implementing a no-explaino online policy. :-) I think I'm getting more stressed-out explaining it to people online than actually living through it. :-)

(that said...
1. Not really
2. Yes
3. Randy's rope, no clue
4. Yes, but was not possible due to things I'd explain in person)