Joshua Tree Nov 27-28 2010 with Dave Mayville

Archived TRs for desert ranges.
mve

Post by mve »

This past weekend my girlfriend and I finally took our first rock climbing class in Joshua Tree with Vertical Adventures. Dave Mayville was our guide ... I was just blown away by what Dave was doing on the rock -- it was mind boggling to me that he'd climb 90 feet on 5.8 without any protection, then do the same on 5.7 and then downclimb it again without any pro. Here are few clips of Dave Mayville at work:

For him it's just another day at the office ... :D But for me ... after I climbed (painfully and slowly) all of these routes on TR I gained even more respect for him and what he does day in day out. Amazing guy and I highly recommend him to anyone no matter what your skill level is.
norma r

Post by norma r »

:D Cool Vitaliy! glad you both got out there to take a private class. way to go! nice video and music too. free climbing without aid is impressive as long as you don't fall. then it's depressive. so where the photos of you and your GF?

i warmed up on Tiptoe two Sunday's ago. fun little climb!
mve

Post by mve »

Hi Norma! Thank you for recommending Vertical Adventures to us -- Bob Gaines was a great guy to work with.

In regards to Free Climbing, I just finished watching "Alone on the Wall" episode where Alex Honnold Free Climbed the "Regular Northwest Face" at Half Dome. Just watching it turns my gut into knots ... here's the trailer:

Even Dave Mayville said that what Alex Honnold has done at Half Dome, he just can't even comprehend it even as a climber ... Just unbelievable.
mve

Post by mve »

norma r wrote: so where the photos of you and your GF?
:lol: It's not yet for "prime time" :lol:
norma r wrote: i warmed up on Tiptoe two Sunday's ago. fun little climb!

That's awesome -- Joshua Tree is such a great place!