Lone Pine: Horseshoe Meadows

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
obie

Post by obie »

I've been doing some altitude training in the Lone Pine area this month. For cyclists this area has three of the big climbs in the USA: Onion Valley Road, Whitney Portal Road and Horseshoe Meadows Road. My first two trips were (for me) high heat survival riding: 102-105 degs. It's been a slow process acclimating to not only the temps but the humidity. Really enjoy the climbs and the serene beauty of the Sierras.

Horseshoe Meadows Road

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Wow. :shock: Now that's what I call a bike ride. Pretty cool stuff.

HJ
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

I remember driving up that road and my old tank of a car had trouble gettin up that hill. Can't imagine peddling up that
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice! i'd love to do these eventually. what's the grade up to Horseshoe meadows?
obie

Post by obie »

wrote:nice! i'd love to do these eventually. what's the grade up to Horseshoe meadows?
Horseshoe has a section of about 5 miles on the switchbacks that I was showing 9-11% all the way. It's a long climb too - about 20 miles from Whitney Portal Road. It's Baldy Ski Lifts x 3 = big effort.

The Summerson book lists Horseshoe as the 2nd toughest in CA. Onion Valley is 1st and Whitney Portal comes in at #5.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Wow & Congrats! Is there a Masochists' Tour De Sierra?
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

what's the toughest climb in all of the US?
Taco

Post by Taco »

That's a ton of work!
obie

Post by obie »

wrote:what's the toughest climb in all of the US?
Mt.Washington, NH is listed as #1. Adding to degree of difficulty is the fact that it used to be closed to cyclists except on the day of the annual hill climb event.

Here's a thread that's kicking around on one of the bike forums which shows the CA/USA lists from Summerson's book on big climbs.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... California

This one has the Stelvio in Italy listed in the "19 Most Complex and Dangerous Roads in the World." The switchbacks on the Stelvio make for an interesting descent (I'm told) by cyclists.

http://www.waze.com/blog/the-19-most-co ... the-world/
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

obie wrote:The Summerson book lists Horseshoe as the 2nd toughest in CA. Onion Valley is 1st and Whitney Portal comes in at #5.
I have not done Onion Valley or Horseshoe Meadows but want to get around to it one of these days. I do recall peddling to the Portal from Lone Pine one August day. It was really hot and I realized as I neared the switchbacks that I had left my water bottle back in town. Fortunately, a storm hit just before the real climb started. I was soon soaked and a bit chilled. It felt like heaven! There was no damage that Portal Store refreshment could not cure in short order. It all turned out to be a good warmup for the Whitney hike the next day.
obie

Post by obie »

AlanK wrote: There was no damage that Portal Store refreshment could not cure in short order. It all turned out to be a good warmup for the Whitney hike the next day.
Indeed.

hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Wow! Good job. I get tired driving that road. :D I saw a bunch of bikers riding up to Rock Creek last weekend. It looked like some kind of organized race?
obie

Post by obie »

There are two big amateur climbing events/races left on the calendar and the Sierras are the best place to train.

The Everest Challenge is some heavy lifting:

http://everestchallenge.com/

Furnace Creek 508 I find rather disturbing yet have friends who think it's a perfectly fun way to spend 40-50 hrs. on a bike.

http://www.the508.com/