A San Gorgonio Wilderness traverse

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I finally got my hands on a Tom Harrison map of the San Gorgonio Wilderness so I could fire up my Excel and start planning a multi-day 30 mile traverse of the San Bernardino Peak ridge to the San Gorgonio summit.

It can be done as a leisurely four-day trip or a more strenuous three-day. Here are the proposed itineraries:

Four Day Itinerary

Day 1: Angelus Oaks to Limber Pine Bench, 5.7 miles, 3,400 foot elevation gain

Day 2: Limber Pine Bench to High Meadow Springs, 8.2 miles, 960 foot elevation gain

Day 3: High Meadow Springs to the Summit, 4.4 miles, 1,179 foot elevation gain

Day 4: Summit to Aspen Grove trailhead, 10.9 miles, 4,098 foot elevation loss

Three Day Itinerary

Day 1: Angelus Oaks to Limber Pine Bench, 5.7 miles, 3,400 foot elevation gain

Day 2: Limber Pine Bench to the Summit, 12.6 miles, 2,139 foot elevation gain

Day 3: Summit to Aspen Grove trailhead, 10.9 miles, 4,098 foot elevation loss

An alternative final day would be to head down the Vivian Creek Trail from the summit. This would make the car shuttle a little easier, too.

I don't know when I will be doing this. I was thinking about next spring once the snow goes away, but if the snow doesn't come soon I might try to get this in this year.

Wouldn't those Sierra snobs be surprised to learn we have the potential for such multi-day excursions right here in the San Berdoos!

BTW, I had always assumed Tom Harrison's mileages were more accurate than the Forest Service since he uses a wheel odometer to measure the trails, but his map says the Vivian Creek Trail is only 7.8 miles long. That seems to be at least a mile short of what everyone else says.
Nunc est bibendum
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

dayum!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

simonov wrote: Wouldn't those Sierra snobs be surprised to learn we have the potential for such multi-day excursions right here in the San Berdoos!
lol. but come on, its only like 1/2 hr longer drive to the Sierras than SGW!!! :lol: